We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Armacao dos Buzios...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Salvador pousada owned by expat?

I have been to Brazil before and planning a return visit. Last time,the best service we received was when we stayed at pousadas where there was an expat owner- not the least because there was no language barrier. I am going to post on several boards for different locations that we are thinking of to get recommendations for pousadas with expat owners. What are the best expat pousadas in Salvador?Please feel free to recommend other locations,as our plans are not at all fixed, other than spending about 6 weeks in Brazil.

Obrigado

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

You could try:Pousada Papaya Verde,Pousada Azul and Pousada Red Fish and there is one at Itapoan called Pousada Encanto to Itapoan

Armacao dos Buzios...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Thanks, I will have to check them outasSalvador is one of theplaces that we are talking about visiting.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

We stayed in Pousada Estrela Do Mar in Barra late last year (the owner Sean is Irish) we really enjoyed it. Good location and excellent breakfasts.

Cheers

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Have a look at Hotel Lagoa e Mar in Praia de Jauá. Very nice place and not busy.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

The Pousada Santa Clara on Boipeba island is owned by two expats from New York, Charles and Mark. They have lived in Bahia for over 20 years. You can read my review for more details.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

"Red Fish" in bairo do Carmo / Santo Antonio is English owned

"Papayo Verde" in Barra is Dutch owned

"NoaNoa" in Barra is French owned

"Pousada des Arts" in Santo Antonio is French owned

"Solar do Carmo" in Santo Antonio is Italian owned

tropical greetings from another expat in Salvador

Ivan - Bahia Guide

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Ivan,

Noa Noa maybe French owned but the people that manage the place are all Brazilians to the best of my knowledge, I used to live not far from there and we used to eat at their restaurant.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Jorge,

The French owner, Nicolas B, is there on a daily basis, indeed running his pousada, I just spoke to him a few minutes ago ;-)

Maybe you were there when he was traveling to France with his family ?

Greetings

Ivan - Bahia Guide

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

Fair enough, Never met the chap, just the staff. It's a good choice as a place of lodging.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Salvador pousada owned by expat?

For what it's worth, Hotel Villa Santo Antonio has many nice qualities, (and a couple of serious drawbacks) and is German-owned. I stayed there last month and will write a full review soon.

Having said that, it strikes me as a little peculiar that the nationality of the owners would be a major criterion in choosing accomodations...and doesn't "expat" simply mean somebody who has chosen to live in a country other than one's birth? If somebody from Lisbon owns a pousada in Bahia, does that count?

I take it that in this case it is code for North Americans or Europeans who are fluent in English?

Edited: 4:11 pm, March 07, 2013