We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in Salvador

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 hours in Salvador

My wife and I have 7 hours in Salvador on the 8th December. We are on a cruise heading for Rio. Does anyone have any suggestions for what we might do. We have spent an evening in the Pelourinho area a few years back on a Tuesday night. That was pretty impressive!

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in Salvador

Greetings,

7 hours is tight but you should be able to get some basic sight-seeing done.

To make best use of your limited time I suggest that you consider hiring a private guide who can pick you up at the port, take you to a few selected sites and then get you back in time to sail off.

Things to do that might fit into your time-frame are:

1) Another visit to the Pelourinho.

2) Visit to Mercado Modelo to pick up a few souvenirs and see Capoeria practitioners who often perform behind the mercado proper.

3) A nice lunch and driving tour of the city.

I am sure that there are other things that can be done within the time that you have but I highly recommend that you hire a guide so as to maximize your time.

If you need to find a guide for Salvador, you can check the TA Salvador resources and search through the Brazil forum. Also, I know a couple of very good guides who I can recommend to you if you would like...just send me a PM here in TA and I will send you their contact info.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Edited: 10:19 am, May 05, 2012
2. Re: 7 hours in Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:06 am, October 09, 2013
Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in Salvador

No tour guide is needed to see the major sights of Salvador, which will fill your time easily.

When you get off the ship, you can take a short walk to the Mercado Modelo to take a look at the building and the shops inside. This is the place to get lots of souvenirs for the whole family. Make sure, on exiting at the front, you spend a minute listening to the local roots music the CD seller there is playing. You can then cross the street and go up the Elevador Lacerda right in front, which takes you into Pelourinho. If you didn't have time to explore on the last visit for the bencao, take the time to see the museums, churches, shiops and restaurants you might have missed or wanted to return to. Make sure you visit Didara, the shop with Goya Lopes unique clothing designs. You can lunch at the SESC cooking school buffet of traditional Bahian foods, at Mama Bahia, Cantina da Lua, or Bar Cruz do Pascoal, a real local joint with a great view over the bay.

If you have extra time, go back to the base of the Elevador and take a taxi to the Solar de Uniao modern art museum, in the buildings of a Colonial sugar plantation.Wait for a taxi to take you back.

Another interesting place might be the Bonfim church and the quirky museum of miracles there, placed by people who prayed for and received cures for their illnesses. Get a ribbon tied onto your wrist with 3 knots while you make 3 wishes. You can take a taxi there from the base of the Elevador and back, but leave sufficient time (a couple of hours) for this. From the church, you could also (with more time), easily walk to the fort at Mont Serrat and have a beer on the beach with the locals.

Have a great time !

Obs: As mentioned, no guide is needed, but if people have information about Salvador they feel is valuable, why notbe helpful enough to this forum to post it, not simply enter to repeatedly do publicity for their own business.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in Salvador

Thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated. Looks like I have a number of options and will have a busy visit!

5. Re: 7 hours in Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 pm, June 22, 2013