We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capoeira and t5hings to do in Salvador

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Capoeira and t5hings to do in Salvador

Hi

I'm in Salvador in April and am looking for a good place to watch a capoera demonstration, or maybe join in myself. Can you recommend anywhere?

Also which are the best hostels in the area, either with a dorm or room to share. I will be relying on public transport to get there?

What are the best outdoors activities in the area?

Thanks

Roger

Oxford, UK
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capoeira and t5hings to do in Salvador

hey Roger,

SO jealous that you're in Salvador - I was there in Feb and July last year and am looking out at the grey UK weather wishing I was back in Bahia.

capoeira... ok.

The place most tourists go is to the Academia de Mestre Bimba in the Pelorinho. Run by the legendary Mestre Bamba they do regular rodas (when capoeira is plaed raher than trained) and you can pay to go watch). Bamba and his students are great so it's worth a go, but training with them is pretty pricey (cos tourists will pay...)

There are usually random rodas going on around the main Pelorinho squares and usually one down at the mercado modelo, but these vary in quality.

If you're anywhere in the Praia do Flamingo/Abaete area of Salvador then get along to the Criancas Raizes do Abaete (near the Lagao do Abaete). There are kids classes there most mornings and afternoons, and adults classes and rodas friday nights and saturdays... i think...

Ask around in Abaete - Professor Rupi / Prof Pesado / Prof Cui - they're all good guys, and if you go to visit or train with them, please make a donation to the Projeto and tell them Estrela from Oxford sent you.

Enjoy. capoeira in brazil with brazilians is where it's at!

Estrela

(btw: am a trustee for the charity that supports the Projeto in Abaete - see www.abolicaotrust.org)

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Capoeira and t5hings to do in Salvador

Hi Estrela

Thanks so much for the great advice. Salvador sounds like the place to be for sure! Really looking forward to the trip.

Guess that Oxford is not big on Capoeira..

Oxford, UK
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capoeira and t5hings to do in Salvador

You've gotta be kidding...

Oxford ROCKS for capoeira - we have an awseome group here: Abolicao Oxford

www.abolicao.co.uk

We train capoeira Regionale under the big bad brazilian eye of Contra-mestre Luis Negao. There are more than 7 classes running a week, including a kids class that we started about 6 months ago.

We had our 5th Batizado in November attended by Mestre Itapuan and Mestre Olavo - well known mestres from Salvador.

Negao is from Salvador originally and now lives here in Oxford with his wife and 2 kids. He is a strong teacher who really knows his stuff and there is an amazing capo-community developing here in this lively international city.

If you ever find yourself in the UK - come see us, and when you're back in South Africa, head over to Hamburg (nr Port Elizabeth) and go visit the project there.

capoeira - a moment of freedom from the grind of life...