We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvador or Ouro Preto

Poland
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Salvador or Ouro Preto

Hello,

I'm planning my vacation in Brazil. I want to visit Rio. And one more beautiful, historic city: Salvador or Ouro Preto.

Please help me make a good decision!

All comments will be appreciated.

Greetings,

Darek

:)

Poland
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Hello,

Thank you all for interesting and important informations.

I have another questions: how to simply & safely move from Rio to Ouro Preto and from Rio to Salvador? Which airlines are prefered?

What can you say about safety?

All comments will be appreciated.

Greetings,

Darek

:)

Warsaw
Level Contributor
86 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Darek

Rio to Ouro Preto: direct bus from Rodoviaria Novo Rio

Rio to Salvador: there is a bus, but plane is better :) You will probably find TAM and GOL connections. I took TAM several times while in Brazil and it was all OK. I have no experiences with GOL, but they may be cheaper.

Regarding safety, I elaborated in the private message. Most probably nothing wrong wiill happen :)

Santo Amaro
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

The easiest way to see the places you mention is to FLY Rio to Belo Horizonte and FLY Belo Horizonte to Salvador. Ouro Preto is a 2 hour bus rde from Belo Horizonte.

Also check airlines like Azul, Webjet, etc.

Santo Amaro
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Ouro Preto is a small mountain town with lots of Colonial architecture relatively unspoiled by modern buildings. Walk around, take photos, go to the museums and churches, do some shopping for soapstone boxes and such. A day or two.

Salvador is a large vibrant city with great beaches, unique music plus all the tshopping, historic architecture, museums, and churches and more. Lots of great day or overnight trips too, like Morro do Sao Paulo or Praia do Forte/Guarajuba or Cachoeira. A week or more. If you stay, it is a long bus ride from Itapoa into where a lot of music and movement is. Try Barra.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Salvador or Ouro Preto ...

The interesting thing of Salvador is that the whole of actual Brazil started here in in this amazing city about 500 years ago.

SO, that resulted in a very divers mixture of cultures (african + local originins like the Tupi-indians + European) which gives Salvador a rich colonial history that left many traces in the actual city.

For me this culture, coming with a mysterious religion (Candomblé) and a specific etno-gastronomy will always remain an interesting blend.

Concerning city trips in Salvador and surroundings one could also take a look at this page of the TripAdvisor : tripadvisor.com/…postreply

Edited: 10:20 am, May 23, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

If you have not already traveled, I would say Salvador. I have been to both, once to each city, and both are beautiful, historic, yet different. The main difference is that Salvador has a lot of the historic aspect (the old churches, historic center, museums, etc) but it also has the beach, and it is a big city with lots of great places to eat, nice nightlife, and some beautiful, non-urban beaches a short bus or car ride away. With Ouro Preto, you get the mountains, which are beautiful, but it is a small, somewhat isolated city, and if you get tired of the historic tours, there is little else to do, except rest and enjoy the beauty. Salvador gives you many more options. However, doing both is also possible, especially if you have the budget. The flights now in Brazil are very reasonable. You can fly from Rio to Salvador or BH non-stop for probably $100 American or less if you buy in advance. The Canadian and American dollar(s) are more than 2-1 right now against the Real, so it is a good time to buy. Hotels and Pousadas are reasonable in both cities, especially compared to Rio, which I read in a Brazilian newspaper, has the most expensive hotel rates in the world right now. Enjoy your trip if you have not already traveled. Don't be paranoid about crime. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.....and, at night, take a taxi if you have much distance to travel and/or have any doubts about the area in which you are visiting. Better to be safe in a taxi than to take risk.....However, I found both cities safe, especailly in touristy areas, which are policed well and have lots of people around. There are a lot of beggers in OP.

Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Concerning city trips in Salvador and surroundings one could also think twice about using the services of someone who posts only to link to a thread promoting his own services (on a site where such advertising is prohibited).

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

Well Tcant, Ivan is an aggressive advertiser using various alias to push his services.But he has now toned down a little.He got a thread that went big here on Salvador forum.Since then the ball kept rolling about Ivan and i think he was satisfied and calmed down a little.Maybe during lowseason he will start again?

19. Re: Salvador or Ouro Preto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 26, 2013