We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

I have 6 days.

What do you think?

Welcome,

Brazil Rio.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

btw, The conclusion of the removed post was that we posters have a moral obligation not to post information that encourages readers into behavior that has potential to be risky, which I consider the op to be.

Jacksonville...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

Courageous is the best adjective to describe a foreign tourist who rents a car in Salvador. I would classify it as insanity. We are talking about one of the worse (if not the worst) traffics in Brazil. Unlike Rio and Sao Paulo, Salvador does not have many multi-lane freeway systems, which means that you will be squeezed by larger vehicles (buses come to mind) and Salvador's maniac drivers. There is absolutely no common sense or respect for other drivers. It's a jungle. I can't think of a better way to add stress to your vacation.

You may want to consider riding the bus. There are some executive bus lines which cover the most popular routes. It's more expensive that the regular bus, but is is still cheap (for US and European standards) and more comfortable.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

Thanks for contributing BahiaJax. We need more posters truly knowledgable about Salvador on the forum. Look forward to hearing more from you about a place I am passionate about.

34. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 am, September 08, 2011
Edited: 7:38 am, September 08, 2011
Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

Tcantarelli is notorious on this board for providing negative advice on driving anywhere in Brazil. Check her personal archive for more information.. We recently drove 3000 miles in Brazil from Natal to Porto Galinhas including Praia Pipa, Joao Pessoa, Paulista, Olinda, and Recife, then on to Salvador and northern beaches, Rio, Buzios, Cabo Frio area, Florianopolis to name just a few spots. That's a pretty big sample of miles. We never once experienced any of the horrible situations / problems suggested by Tcantarelli. We even drove in her beloved Salvador which we thought was perfect for driving because the roads were easy to navigate because most of the spots one wants to see are easily navigable by following the coast road. Salvador signage was terrific. The ONLY place we saw absurd driving was north of Praia do Forte on a weekend when SOME drivers were traveling in excess of 120km per hour.

I think people need to read these posts with an educated eye and make up their own minds as to what is best for their personal situation. It is not helpful when people like Tcantarelli become aggressive when challenged on what is clearly her personal opinion. An opinion of one is not a statistically valid sample. I suggest potential travelers do their due diligence, decide what makes sense for them, and if driving appeals to them, try it out in a neutral zone, ie don't start in Rio.

We had a great time driving around Brazil, got to see many places that we never would have seen with a bus or taxi and will do it again within the next year. Driving was definitely the right decision for us. For others, using public transportation may be the best alternative. At the end of the day, it is a personal decision, not a one size fit all "never drive in Brazil."

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

Nice comment.

37. Re: Is worthful to rent a car in Salvador?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 12, 2012