We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

injections, malaria tabs

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Topic
injections, malaria tabs

Hi

Do i need injections or tablets for the superclubs area, and possible rio trip once there?

pete

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
884 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: injections, malaria tabs

TravelPages, the answer from all I know is NO, however, check out a recent discussion which details the issue: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g660717-i11784-k18… .

Boa Viagem!

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: injections, malaria tabs

I got vacinnated for Hep B, Typhoid and did Yellow Fever too - only place I went that Yellow Fever was somewhat present was Foz do Iguacu. After reading about it I sure didn't want YF so since I was getting the other shots I got that. I think it is a smart thing to do but having said that a few people I spoke to said they didn't get it.

My US doctor also said I have to take a months worth of antibiotics too to prevent malaria but I was skeptical (US doctors have been prescribing that stuff for everything under the sun). Considering I was going to Rio, Sao Paulo, Belo and the south and that the Iguassu Falls area was the only area with minimal malarial risk (if that) I passed on the malarial antibiotic tablets particurly since they have been screwing me up every time I take them and think they are overprescribed (particularly in the US). Plus I'm on a pro-biotic regiment and didn't want to kill the good bacteria in me!

I read about malaria down there and spoke to a Brazilian doctor and he and most guides I read say you don't need malarial pills unless you are in Amazonia, the Pantanal and certain other parts of the north (other posters feel free to correct me on this, but I did not take antibiotics for malaria, just got the shots for the abovementioned diseases).

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: injections, malaria tabs

Thanks for the advice, will obviously visit a uk nurse to check.

I had malaria tablets back in 2001 and they really messed me up...so will be def being them a miss. I went Panama in September so should be well topped up still hopefully

Thanks Pete

4. Re: injections, malaria tabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 24, 2009