We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

Hello,

I am at the very beginning stage of planning our family's next vacation. We want to visit the Amazon Rainforest with a side trip to Machu Picchu.

We have school age kids, so we can only travel during the school holidays. We can travel in December over the Christmas/New Year holiday or over the summer.

Can someone advice if it is better to see the Amazon Rainforest in the winter or summer time? Or is the Amazon experience pretty much the same year round?

Thank you.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

Amazon Rainforest in Brazil with a "side trip" to Machu Picchu??? What kind of route do you have in mind? In terms of weather, I think July would be better in both areas.

Have you posted this on the Peru section? You may want to see the rainforest there. For example, flying from Manaus in Brazil to Lima or Cuzco in Peru may not be easy at all. Brazil is certainly worth a visit, but with the info you've given so far, I think I might fly to Lima and do my touring in Peru.

Edited: 9:11 am, August 25, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

Oh, where should I post on the Peru section?

I was just going to post on the Amazon River Forum, and saw that Manaus was a sub forum under it, and it had a lot more questions and replies there. So, I thought Manaus is where I should ask.

So, since we wanted to visit Machu Picchu, where in Peru should we do the Amazon Rainforest trip? We would want to including a few days of the River cruise.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

Since you're asking about a couple of different areas, why not just post in the main Peru section (select Peru as the location)? Iquitos is one Amazon town, but I'd just post in general Peru. I have been to Machu Picchu, but only the Brazilian part of the Amazon region (Manaus and Belem).

Still remember, in Cuzco, my girlfriend (now wife) and a friend asking for a "typical" dish at a restaurant, and screeching when the waiter brought out a guinea pig on a platter like a small roast pig. Waiter was completely puzzled at their reaction. I stuck to safer dishes (e.g., Pisco Sours).

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

That's funny. When we are in Cuzco, we will be sure to ask for a local dish, and will report back to you what we end up with.

Okay, I will re-post question my on the Peru forum.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
217 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

Hi Happy Traveler,

Peru is a great place to combine the Amazon with Machu Picchu. You have rainforest in both the north and south. In the north, there are lodges available and also a number of riverboats. It is common to see river dolphins, both species. The ideal time to combine the Amazon with Machu Picchu would be just before the peak tourist season. Late April or May work well as water levels are high in the Amazon and rains have subsided, and the crowds have not yet arrived in Cusco and Machu Picchu.

An alternative is to visit Machu Picchu and visit a lodge in the south, around Manu / Tambopata. There are not any cruising options but some very nice lodges.

Rainforest Cruises

6. Re: December or July to visit the Amazon Rainforest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 28, 2014