We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Which Manaus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

We took this ship in early Sept. There were only 32 passengers on the Rio Negro portion and 28 on the Solimonos portion. The service, food, ship, etc. was wonderful. The tour guides do a very good job (some better than others) and offer everything in Portuguese, Spanish, and English. We were the only Americans on board. We went to every lecture and took every offered excursion. We had a great trip. Email me any questions.

Manaus
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Thanks for share!

Malta
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Thanks for your feedback.

We too are thinking of going on the 7 day trip next May for our honeymoon. do you suggest the 7 day trip or a 4 day would be enough? What is there to do on the boat other than the excursions..is the pool nice to relax and enjoy the views?

Also, are drinks included only during meal times or 24hrs?

Thanks for any help

Daniela

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Drinks are offered at the 2 bars all day and, I think, until midnight or so. There is also a refrigerator in your room that is kept full of beer, soda, and water.

The pool is not very large but with our small group on board there was plenty of room. There is a hot tub but I don't think that it worked although it was full of water. They close the pools at 10PM for chemical maintenance. There are lounge chairs with cushions but no shade.

There is a large outside covered area (shade) with tables and chairs by the bar next to the pool area.

Other than excursions there is a lecture each day. There was a folklore show at night twice and a little band (the guides) one night and one afternoon. There were pool games but they were during the English lecture so we never went.

We felt pretty busy since some excursions were at 5:45AM and some at 9:30PM which made for a full day (8:00AM and 4:00PM too).

The Rio Negro 4 day part was more interesting but we were glad to do 7 days as the areas are different.

Oakville
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Thanks for the review timmerwilke! My wife and I are going on the 3 day Iberostar Grand Amazon cruise in January. Did you find that the mosquitoes were bad? Any concerns about Malaria? We're thinking of just using a Deet based repellent. Can PAX have wine stocked in their room fridge or is it just beer, water and soda? Do you know how the cabins are assigned and was there any location better or worse? Any tips or suggestions on clothing to pack? I know they don't allow shorts/t-shirts in the dinning-room but any helpful hints you can throw out would be great.

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

We took medication to prevent malaria but many others didn't. We did use a deet based repellent and sunscreen daily. One night on deck we had a lot of mosquitoes (only 1 night out of 7) so we went inside. It did not seem to be a real problem.

There was no wine in our fridge so I don't know. We did drink wine with lunch and dinner.

We chose our cabin when we booked and it was on the main deck where the main show room and bar were. That is also where you board the excursion boats. The dining room was below and the pool and outside area were 2 decks up. There is an elevator. I think that all cabins are the same with a little balcony with 2 chairs and a table. I liked being so close to the water level.

Very casual clothes onboard. My husband wore a tie and jacket to the Captain's dinner and was terribly overdressed. I wore a casual dress with sandals. On the boat rides shorts are fine. On the treks I wore long sleeves and long pants to avoid bugs, branches, etc. It was very hot and humid and others did not cover up so much although the guides wore long sleeves and pants. I also wore a hat to avoid the sun, bugs, etc.

You should have a good time. We really enjoyed it.

Oakville
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Terrific tips! We had booked the Mandi deck but we have been bumped up to the Tambaquie deck. We're not too concerned about which cabin we get since they are all the same for the most part. Thanks...

Oakville
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Another question, do you know if there was internet on board? Wifi or ship supplied computer?

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

I don't remember ever seeing a computer or anyone using a laptop. Our tablemates used the turnaround day to go to an internet cafe in Manaus. So I'm guessing no.

New York City
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

Planning on going on 7 day trip in January.

How did you book this trip? What do they provide on the turn around day in Manaus? Is there time to tour the Opera House? Is the ship well air conditioned? How is the food? Is there dancing?

Do you know if all cabins are the same size.

thank you

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand Amazon ship review

I believe that all of the cabins are identical. They are big for a cruise ship with a king bed, night tables, desk, plenty of closet and drawer space, and a little balcony with 2 chairs and a table. The bathroom also was a good size. One thing that is odd for Americans is that you must put the toilet paper in the trashcan, not the toilet.

We booked with a local travel agent who used Travel Impressions. We booked the 7 night cruise and 1 prenight at The Tropicale Hotel. We also booked transfers. They were expensive but the 3 drivers were very good and we have no Portuguese and little Spanish. It's a little tricky getting to and from the ship although the ship personnel help you walk through a very busy port building and area. We were glad to have the English speaking drivers although I'm sure that taxis would have been fine (and cheaper).

Nothing was planned on the turnaround day although I think that if you asked they would have helped you hire a guide. There were only 6 of us so they gave us a set time for lunch and kept the pool and bar open. We walked around Manaus but it was very hot and very crowded. We tried to go to the Opera House but got lost. I do think that it is an easy walk and well worth seeing. You might not get inside. Our transfer driver to the airport drove there so that we could see the outside. Our tablemates went to an internet cafe and hung around the port area talking to other travelers who mostly were taking the hammock boats.

The air conditioning is very good. You can control the one in your room.

We thought the food was great but we are easy. It was a buffet but you could also order ala carte at dinner which we always did. Soup, salad, vegetables, breads, and desserts we ate at the buffet and then fish ala carte.

The guides had a band which played one night and one afternoon. We did dance to them. It was fun. Some American music and lots of South American music. We followed how the others danced...I'm sure that we looked like fools but it was great fun.