We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon Trip...

Which Manaus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Amazon Trip...

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon to the amazon and have done a lot of research on Manaus, but what we have read isn't what we really want... We don't really want to do a commercialized tour and don't want to spend time in Manaus... Are there any small towns that are easy to get to with a less commercial feel to them? We want to hike the amazon and all that, we just don't care to spotlight caimen or fish or anything like that. We would rather spend time camping and hiking... Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazon Trip...

I would recommend Alter do Chao, because I use to go myself and I enjoy it a lot. It is quite near Santarem (STM) airport. The jungle is not so great there - I mean the soil can´t raise so big trees as near mManaus but you can visit natral reserves, local people reserves the old plantantion from Ford called fordland.

alterdochao.tur.br/component/…

guardian.co.uk/travel/…beach-brazil-top-10

I usually stay in this hotel: http://www.beloalter.com.br/ but you can find others at: …uol.com.br/brasil/…

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazon Trip...

But if you wanna enjoy wildlife I would go to Pantanal wetlands near Cuiaba (CGB) instead of Amazon rainforest www.pantanalecoexplorer.com.br/the_pantanal/ www.pantanalnature.com.br/index.php…

Manaus
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazon Trip...

You should go to Novo airao over than 120km far from Manaus,you can really do some thing real there.

Edited: 8:42 pm, June 03, 2011
Myrtle Beach, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazon Trip...

Thanks for the info!! Novo airao looks awesome!!! Thanks For the Posts!!!

Manaus
Level Contributor
311 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazon Trip...

for the a real adventure cost a lot of money check http://amazonriders.com/anacondarionegro.html they have the anaconda package,maybe thats what you are looking for.

Edited: 10:42 am, June 04, 2011
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazon Trip...

Herman from Oropendola Tours www.oropendolatours.com can arrange a trip to Novo Airao or anywhere else for you... he's a great guide and not very expensive. Highly recommended!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
158 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amazon Trip...

Hi. Since you seem to know Alter do Chao, any recommended tour guides? Thanks!

Edited: 1:39 pm, August 07, 2011
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amazon Trip...

If your desire is to experience the Amazon (locals call it the Amazonas) River area of Brazil (local spelling is Brasil) I feel the Amazon Clipper Cruises offer the most comprehensive, informative and exciting tour available at a reasonable price. Specifically we chose the Clipper Premium which was quite comfortable with ample spaced rooms with two beds which could be pushed together as one large bed, spacious bathroom with stall shower and space for all your stuff. The food was excellent served buffet style; and the boat had ample deck space for viewing the flora and fauna. The 16-room ship accommodates a small group of 32 people while the excursion canoes holds 16 on comfortable bench seats with back supports – cushions are provided. The guides are local and extremely knowledgeable. While you can read about the daily activities on the Clipper internet site, much more is added during the trip and I will not go into details so as not to spoil the wonderful surprises in store for you during your adventure. Let me just say that this was a magical trip I will not soon forget.

San Jose
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amazon Trip...

We recently came back from an amazing Trip into the Amazon. We had booked a 7 days survival trip with Amazon Tarzan.

He took us deep into virgin rainforest, like 180km from Manaus. We were picked up at the airport and went straight to the port,

where a speedboat took us to the other site of the amazon. Amazing fast speed passing over brown and then green water.

Further on with a taxi for about an hour an half and again speed boat to Amazon Tarzan Lodge, a simple but comfortable place.

We had a double room with mosquito nets, but in this area there are no moskitos, because the river water is acid.

Location is on the upper part of the Juma Lake, marvelous sunrise and sunset.

Next morning the singing birds woke us up and after a regional breakfast, we went to Our first hiking trip.

Tarzan showed us medical plants, rubber trees, huge trees the Indians use as telephone, we saw sloths, monkeys, parrots, toucans.

After lunch, grilled fish we needed a rest and late afternoon we relaxed swimming with dolphins.

In the night time we rook a canoe and saw some alligators.

Next day we left the lodge to a jungle camp 2 hours away. Hardly any people enter this area.

We learned how to build a camp just with natural material.

Afternoon we needed to look for food and decided to fish, we got a couple piranhas and tambaqui.

After a extended grill party we got ready for a night trekking.

The moon was nearly full and like Tarzan stated most wildlife is in the nighttime.

Next day we got introduced in survival technics, how to build traps, get water from trees, what to do in case of accident.

In the night time we went Speer fishing.

Next day we rook the canoe an went to an island full of birds, we saw at least 30 different species from egrets to kingfisher.

Night time we went hunting, but didn´t caught anything.

Next day we visited a local family and learned how to make manioc and how to produce rubber.

In the night time we went hunting again, this time we had more luck, we got a paca, jungle rabbit, delicious.

Tarzan was a great cook, everyday different meal only with what we caught or picked in the jungle.

Time was running out and we had to leave our jungle camp which was already a home to us.

Back to lodge, one more day relaxing than we had to leave this marvelous place called Amazon.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
34 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amazon Trip...

Go to the Uakari Floating Lodge in the Mamiraua Reserve (gateway Tefé) if you want a great experience with focus on wildlife and amazing location.

Plenty of reviews to check if it would suit your plans.

Go to Santarem/Alter do Chão (Tapajos) if you want a beach plus rainforest experience. Best hotel there is Beloalter. Great guide called Gil Serique if you are into exploring more.