We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs!

Which Manaus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hertfordshire
4 posts
Save Topic
bugs!

i am going on a tour of brazil in jan, incuding a stay in the amazon. Cant wait apart except i have a huge phobia of insects being in confined spaces with me - ie room! Are they going to be in the room with me or am i terrifying myself for no reason? Have been to Africa etc - which was fine but this is the Amazon so i am fearing the worse!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bugs!

you are going to a tropical rainforest and, yes, tasha, there can be lots of bugs. I guess it depends what kind of hotel/room you have.

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
60 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bugs!

I am from Curitiba (southern Brazil) and was also concerned about this when I came here. I work at the airport and live in the city of Manaus and so far had no problem with mosquitos or bugs.

Locals say that there are a few mosquitos around the Negro River because the water pH is low. Don't know if this is true or not.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bugs!

My wife was similarly concerned when I booked our trip to Brasil and I persuaded her to include the Amazon jungle as part of our tour!

We stayed at a jungle lodge so I feared the worst. On our first night there were some ants in the corner of our room, not huge or anything but I didn’t know if they were poisonous or not - so I asked reception if they had an insect spray, fully expecting to be told “it’s the jungle, what do you expect?”, but they came and sprayed the room and in the end evacuated us and gave us a new room! Over three nights, I saw one beetle in the room one night when I turned the light on, but never saw it again. All in all, it was not frightening at all!

Our lodge was near the Rio Negro so there weren’t many mosquitoes. We also did a jungle trek one morning and didn’t see anything that would shock you. However I guess it depends where you are staying – are you in a hotel in Manaus or a jungle lodge? Either way, just take some insect repellent to be safe!

Belgium
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bugs!

I made already more than 25 trips deep in the Amazon forest. And yes, there are mosquitos and bugs. But not in the region of Manaus!!

I am also a turist guide and the last time I was in Manaus I was wondering that there were no mosquitos or bugs at all!! It is good to take your repelent with you but I think you don't need it.

The "black" wather of the Rio Negro can be an answer to the question but I think that the real true is that the region of Manaus, due to the turist flow, is desinfected by insecticides.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bugs!

:-) :-) :-)

6. Re: bugs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 11, 2009