We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

Please let me know if the car is rented in Croatia and rental company allows car to cross the border to Bosnia - do we have to pay border crossing every time we go from Bosnia to Croatia and back and forth......Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

if they allow you to cross the border (so called "green card") then you don`t have to pay anything extra. But ask the rental company in advance do the charge extra for green card. Where are you renting from?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

I'm in the same position as Happy T: I am renting a car in Dubrovnik from Hertz, and planning on driving through Montenegro and Bosnia. I was told by the Hertz agent that (i) entry into Montenegro was allowed for a fee to cover the cost of "green card" paperwork, and (ii) entry into Albania and Kosovo was restricted, but that (iii) she had no notes in her system about Bosnia, leading her to believe that entry is allowed.

I'm very confused on whether I will ultimately be able to drive a Hertz rental car from Croatia to Bosnia, as there is large volume of conflicting information on the internet. Do any of you have experience with Hertz in this regard? Any help would be much appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

Sounds as if several of us have the same problem/concern. I am renting a car in Munich and plan to drive it into Serbia and Bosnia. However, this is what the rental car people told me about driving into Bosnia if I rent a car from them:

A concern Mr XXX should be apprised of, traveling into Bosnia may be problematic and he may not get in due to changes at the border that are beyond our control. This is at his own risk and we will not refund if he does not get in.

Now I don't know what to do!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

that`s strange that they don`t know if their car can enter Bosnia? If you could arrange other way of transport from Munich to let`s say Zagreb, then you can rent a car and take it to both Serbia and BiH

Buxton, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days

Just done it, no problem. Flew to Osijek (Ryanair's latest one donkey airport) and rented a car from unirent (Croatia rental company). Tell them you're going to BIH or Serbia or wherever and they give you all the papers. Drive down the new roads - about 7 euros to get to BIH. Easy driving - high standard compared with say BG or RO or even UK. Make sure you get return papers from the hotel or apartment if you are staying for a time in non EU country eg BIH or Serbia. If you don't there will be a hassle at the border, which since all the human trafficking, is not a picnic crossover. Don't take too much alcohol across the border. Smuggling is a problem and for the price difference, just not worth it. Both Croatia and Bosnia full of helpful friendly people. Ditto Serbia, but they all hate each other anyway, so don't get involved with politics or religion.

Reply to: Renting car in Croatia & drive/stay in Bosnia for 20 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banja Luka
More Banja Luka Topics