We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

We are trying to decide on our trip into the Amazon in Bolivia.

These seem to be the two main eco-tour companies.

Can you please help us to decide on the best tour?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

We went with Serere and had a fantastic time - for 2 of the days we were the only people staying there. Lovely rooms in the jungle with mesh walls so you can almost touch the wildlife around you at night.

Rosa Marie is an inspirational woman, it was fantastic to meet her.

Have a look here:

http://www.hosteltrail.com/madiditravel/

Port Alberni, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

I just returned from a 3 week tour of Peru and Bolivia. We travelled with Etnika's Travel from Cusco. They were absolutely awesome and though we didn't do the amazon, we were in many places and stayed at Ecolodges where ever possible. I recommend them highly - they went above and beyond to make sure our group arrived safely and left safely.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Port Alberni, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

I recently travelled with a group for a 3 week tour of Peru and Bolivia. We did not go to the amazon, but we used a company called Etnikas Travel out of Cusco. They went above and beyond (they do amazon tours) in making sure we arrived safely and left safely. We stayed at Ecolodges whereever possible and Angel, our guide, as well as the others in the company that we met, were awesome. They do straight travel tours or spiritual tours - whatever you desire. Check out their website - they have two or three to look at.

Edited: 12:53 am, July 24, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
89 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

it's hard to choose, isn't it. We'll be going next April and I think we'll stay at San Miguel del Bala. Although some people really enjoy their time at Serere, there are also a fair number of unhappy campers. Chalalan sounds really nice, but I guess it's pretty expensive (they don't make it easy for you to find the price) and the trip on the river takes up most of one day. San Miguel has only positive reviews and is only 45 minutes (their first lodge) from town although the second lodge, in Madidi is 2.5 hours on the river. I think you can only go to the second lodge if you stay 3 or 4 nights, which we will. We're so dependent on the reviews of others, but what did we do in the days before the Internet. I really can't remember. I think we made up our mind when we got there. lol

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

That's what we did! We turned up to Rurrenabaque, looked at 3-4 places and picked the one we liked the look of.

Serere was $80 (US) a night for both of us if I remember correctly.

The rooms were great, really large and very clean (considering you're in the middle of the rainforest!).

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

Thanks everyone. We are still undecided, so if anyone else can help us please keep posting.

We're there in a few weeks. I will post feedback on where we stay afterwards, which will hopefully help others later.

Cheers all. Keep travelling!

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

I would highly recommend Chalalán or San Miguel del Bala, because this two are community owned companies and the benefits they have go directly to the communities of San José de Uchupiamonas and San Miguel, tourism has helped them to improve their life economically and to recover their cultural heritage.

Since Chalalán´s ecolodge is the farest inside the Park (5 hours far form Rurrenabaque) it is easier to see more animals but the experience you will have is similar, the Madidi Park is fantastic!

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

I went to the Madidi travel tours in La Paz and an employee called Simon, a big guy that speaks good english (especially in insults) stole my camera. There were witnesses and the police got involved but, because justice in Bolivia doesn't work, he still has my camera with all my pictures and could get out of this story by just lying over and over again. His version of the facts changed every 3 seconds and was completely impossible to believe but he got away with it and ruined my trip, completely. I do not recommend this agency, there are plenty and many are great, but this one has dishonest employees that are thiefs and don't care about justice! Please, do not support them. I'm telling you, it would be wrong.

Mentioned in this post
La Paz
La Paz
La Paz Department, Bolivia
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

I went with Mashaquipe last year and had a great time. I would really recommend them. Look at their reviews - top of the group in Madidi with 94%. They are one of the companies with a Green Action certificate and not as expensive as Chalalan, yet provide an excellent service. They have a website and will respond to your enquiries.

La Paz, Bolivia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chalalan tours or Serere (Madidi Tours) or any other?

Reply to Nr. 8: Just to make it clear, you are referring to Madidi Travel Tours, not to Madidi Travel?

I am an intern at Madidi Travel. I noticed this post and thought a reply was appropriate. I am not trying to promote the company under false pretenses, but just trying to make clear that Madidi Travel and the Serere Reserve are not being referred to here.

Edited: 5:58 pm, January 27, 2014