We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

Which San Salvador de Jujuy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gill, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

Just came back from an incredible trip with breathtaking views in Jujuy. From Purmamarca by Rt 52, over the Cuesta de Lipan, to Salinas Grandes, to Susques, then by Rt 40 (new or old one?) to San Antonio de las Cobres. Very worthwhile BUT you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to go on the Rt 40 / 70. We got stuck in the sand, crossed dry creek and river beds, and hit many rocks a long the way. Saw only two 4 wheel drive trucks in the 130 +/- km drive which took 4 hours. Ended up under the bridge of the Train to the Clouds. San Antonio de las Cobres to Salta was another adventure. (Didn't return the way we came!) Rt 51 started off as dirt, then paved. But about half way to Salta the policia informed us the road gets closed at dusk. He let us go and told us to be careful. He wasn't kidding - falling rock zones, 1 lanes at times, mud, rocks, under construction. Not for the shy driver! But amazing views worth the effort to see! 4 wheel drive necessary!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

Well, I have never driven 4x4 in that area, but as I say... it makes your teeth loose!!!

To be honest I would have skip SAN ANTONIO de los COBRES, specially if you have a limited time. I prefer the drive both ways from Purmamarca. It is a question of taste....

I think that to see Purmamarca in the morning is just stunning.... To walk in los Colorados is fantastic...

Hope youa re enjoying your time here in the area lot!!!!

Angie/Giena

Gill, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

We stayed in Purmamarca and you are right - it is breathtaking in the morning. My friend wanted to see the bridge of the Tren a las Nubes so that is why we went to SA de los Cobres. By late afternoon we did not want to venture on dirt / sand roads again back to Purmamarca. That's why we took the long way home to Purmamarca via Salta. Lovely Plaza Mayor in Salta! I am told the mountain road between Salta and Jujuy is also beautiful. We avoided it because it was night and was raining.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

well, after watching Purmamarca, the road between Salta and Jujuy looks like nothing, believe me, do not regret so much. Just a jungly area.... And the train bridge, i my opinion without the train is like a lot of iron, and the whole drive is really hard in the dirt. You did the right thing....

Hope you let your friends know about this area!

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

4. Re: Rt 40 Jujuy - incredible but not for the weak of heart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Salvador de Jujuy