We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for after Christmas trip 12/26-29

Lancaster, South...
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for after Christmas trip 12/26-29

Family of 5 - dh, myself, 18yo, 17yo and 11yo. So we need either 2 rooms or a 1br suite

We will be driving in - so parking is an issue.

Places we plan to see: of course the out door monuments; Smithsonian; and Spy Museum. Also might go skating.

Cost is a consideration to an extent, but will pay more to be comfortable. Also, don't mind staying out from DC and taking the Metro in but would prefer an area with character and close by things to do.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for after Christmas trip 12/26-29

Crystal City would be a good place to stay, the hotels are not terribly expensive, and you would be close to several metros and to Pentagon City which offers excellent shopping and dining. They also have a skating rink in the winter! Hotels there will also have parking, though parking downtown is not difficult in the winter as there are fewer tourists (and Congress will be out of seesion, I believe). Have a nice visit!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for after Christmas trip 12/26-29

I am no DC expert but since you did post to the Alexandria forums let me say that our family had a marvelous stay one year at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria! It's huge with the large Embassy Suites atrium. Great breakfast.! I believe I remember an indoor pool. Close to the metro. There was a daily parking charge. Alexandria is full of charm. Lots to do right there. I will be in DC near the same time as you with some children of nearly the same age. Have fun!

3. Re: Best area for after Christmas trip 12/26-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 13, 2009