We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

I had a last minute invite to go with my spouse to the Lorien next week- he's attending a conference, so I was going to take the Metro into DC and check out Smithsonian, etc. during the day. Looks like the Metro is close. Weather should be cold and possibly snowy so I was looking for ideas for evening dinners close to the hotel - casual, interesting -we like most types of food although hubbie not fond of Asian. Definitely need bar, and jeans permitted.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
558 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

Mary:

You could not have selected a better place to stay! Get a spa treatment while you are there!! The Kimpton hotels are known for their relationship with stellar restauranteurs! In the case of The Lorien, go for the adjacent Brabo for of of the best happy hours in town (tip - go for the large charcuterie platter - a meal enough for two - Appetizers are 1/2 off). The Brabo Tasting room is next door and is a mix of inexpensive flat bread pizzas; but their specialty are the mussels!

A few blocks east is Vermillion! My fav of favs! Try Society Fair (just two blocks south on Washington, just off King). An interesting wine bar and gourmet store that must be seen to be understood! Google Cathal Armstrong! Armstrong owns several restaurants that are worth bar hopping for fun! Virtue Feed and Grain on S. Union is worth a stop!

My favorite bar is and will always be Columbia Firehouse on St. Asaph!

Honestly if you search the threads here, you will see I mostly advise folks to stroll King and peruse the menus to see what suits your taste at the moment! We have everything from Greek to Etheopian; Asian to French! All casual!

I hope this is helpful!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

Thanks! Sounds wonderful. Never visited that area although been to DC many times.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

Interested to hear your thoughts on your visit to the Lorien and the restaurants you visited. My husband and I plan to visit in June and are looking at the Lorien. Was it a nice area? What about parking? Thanks in advance!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

Just arrived and walked down King Street - amazing variety to choose from! Will let you know what we have the opportunity to try. Tonight my husband has a late meeting so we may not have as many options with a late night Sunday dinner.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

So how was your stay at Lorien, we're thinking about booking there in April. Did you get a spa package?

6. Re: Last minute trip to Lorien - restaurants nearby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 24, 2016