We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secure Parking for Bikes

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Secure Parking for Bikes

Hi

We are thinking of staying on Old Town Alexandria overnight and would like to bike the Mt. Vernon trail.

Does anyone have an idea of a hotel that has fairly secure parking to leave our bikes on our car rack overnight? We have locks but all you need is a bolt cutter and bye bye bikes :( Embassy suites looked good but I think they have an outdoor lot.

Thanks for any ideas

Sara and Alan

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secure Parking for Bikes

Sara & Alan

Since you are worried about your bikes being stolen, after you had settled in yout hotel room, bring the bikes up to the room. Zero security worries. Or ask the front desk if you can lock them inside.

It's an easy bike ride to the Mt. Vernon Trail from any hotel actually in Old Town and you would have to take them off the car anyway to ride the trail.

I have not read or heard about any roving gang of bike thieves raiding hotel parking lots but crimes of opportunity can happen everywhere.

Even if a parking lot is inside and has an attendant and a gate, how would that prevent a bold bike thief from simply zooming on past with your bike?. There is almost always a pedestrian path that is open so guests can walk into the garage that a miscreant could easily escape thru on a bike no matter how "secure" the parking lot is.

I can understand your concern but don't think any hotel parking lot I have ever parked in would be secure enough to eliminate any possibility of a bike being stolen from a car rack.

Sorry I could not be of more help

Charm

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secure Parking for Bikes

Charm

Thanks fro your reply. I think I will call the prospective hotels and see if they can help me either lock it inside or take it to my room.

Sara

3. Re: Secure Parking for Bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 22, 2013