We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

We are staying at a hotel near Marriott near 9th and K st. (where New York and Massachusetts Ave intersect. What is the best way to tour Mt Vernon and Arlington National cemetery in one day using public transportation? We will be there next week.

Thanks

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

Arlington National Cemetery has it's own Metrorail station. www.wmata.com is the Metro website

There is info on Mount Vernon's website about getting there via public transportation.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

vjpblovesitaly gave you the metro web link, here is the Mt Vernon website directions on using public transportation

mountvernon.org/visit-his-estate/plan-your-v…

Your idea of biking to Mt. Vernon would be more fun if the weather is nice.

Charm

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

I've looked at the links provided, but am still confused about how to get from Arlington Nat'l to Mount Vernon. The directions on the Mount Vernon website are from DC. And if I use the Metro trip planner and enter Arlington to Mount Vernon, I get directions to Mount Vernon Square/Convention Center, and I don't think that's where I want to go!

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

There is no subway to Mt Vernon. If you are already at Arlington cemetery, they get on the metro subway and head in the direction of Franconia Springfield. You have to change over to the Yellow line at either the Pentagon or King street station and then go to the end of the yellow line Huntington Station. Then follow the directions on the Mt. Vernon website link (you have to scroll down that page).

there is no convenient way to get tto Mt. Vernon on public transportation IMO.

charm

Edited: 11:06 am, May 03, 2012
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

Thanks, Charm. I did see Huntington Station and the bus, but wasn't clear about how to get there from Arlington station. It does sound rather daunting. What would you recommend instead? We wouldn't necessarily have to visit on the same day, and would be willing to take a tour.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

Here is the Metrorail map.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

As stated above, from Arlington Cemetery station you take the Blue line to any of the stations that connect to the Yellow line and then switch to Yellow to Huntington.

If you put Mount Vernon George Washington's Estate in the destination bar the correct option should come up.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

missp...

Since your DC posts indicate 3 grandkids in tow, I'd rent a car that day rather than herd them on buses and subway..and dealing with the complaints if you miss a bus and have to wait a loooong time for the next one. But if they like Boat rides, then consider one to Mt. Vernon from DC or alexandria

mountvernon.org/more/directions/visiting-mou…

While it seems pricey, it does include admission ($15 adults, $7 kids) and the river ride is lovely.

Charm

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

You could easily go back to DC from Arlington Cemetery and take a tour boat to Mt. Vernon, or take the Metro rail Blue Line from the Arlington station south to Franconia/Springfield station or King Street station, and bus from there (see www.wmata.com or Google Maps or similarfor details). It will be time-consuming.

Edited: 4:12 pm, August 21, 2012
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

This trip already happened.

10. Re: Public trans. from DC to Mt Vernon & Arlington National

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 23, 2013