We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near King Street Station

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near King Street Station

I understand that driving into Washington DC is a pain so I think I will be parking my car near a metro station. Are there are affordable and safe parking lots near the King Street Station or can I park on the street for more than 2 hours?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near King Street Station

To answer.....no, and no. The Eisenhower station about half a mile away has large open lots. I'm not aware of the daily rate, but that might be an option for you if you are trying to get into and out of DC. As a resident, my trick when I must go into the city, is to drive to the Pentagon City Mall. A large shopping mall across from the Pentagon with access to a Metro station. Parking is relatively cheap for extended trips into the city. Also, access is easy in, and easy out onto I-395 (into and out of the city - Rush hour excluded!) and near the exit to the GW Parkway, which is my preferred route to and from Old Town.

Perhaps someone will add here, this is my advice as a resident living in Old Town near King Street. I hope this is helpful.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near King Street Station

BBByers answer is good, but we might be able to give you some more information if we know more about your travel plans. Where are you coming from? What day(s) of the week are you planning to visit? How many of you are travelling?

For example, if you are coming for one day on a Sunday, I might recommend just driving into the city because parking is free and fairly available. On Sunday mornings, traffic is light and I can find a spot near Penn Quarter (within a few blocks of the Mall). Likewise, if many of you are traveling together, it might be cheaper to park in a lot in D.C. and walk rather than paying for parking outside of D.C. plus a lot of Metro tickets.

Edited: 7:19 am, June 19, 2011
Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near King Street Station

Coming north on I95 from Richmond,VA, sometimes we park in the Springfield/Franconia metro station and take the metro in. I believe it is free on the weekends.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near King Street Station

You've gotten good answers but as you can see a lot depends on what day and when you are coming in. For example, today is Father's Day but driving into DC will be a real hassle until after 1pm because DC is closing the streets for a Triathalon. Other weekends, Metro plans on shutting down stations this next year for track work, even when a crowd would need it, as when Metro closed Stadium Armory station despite a big event being held there.

But as an Alexandria resident, during the weekdays we drive to Fashion Center and park in the garage and take Metro to the museums and resturants. On sundays, we drive right into DC and just park. (after checking for street closures for a race, a rally, a march, or a festival)

Of course some days, like this Friday, the police just close down the roads entirely for security theatre. Like I post here, the good news is when DC is closed or blocked, Alexandria Old Town is open.

Charm

5. Re: Parking near King Street Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 02, 2012