We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

We are hosting a family reunion in August for about 50 people in Alexandria/DC. I am looking for somewhere to have a picnic, preferably someplace that would have a pavillion in case of rain. I have looked into Fort Hunt, but the $200-225 fee to reserve a picnic site is a bit steep for us. Are there any other parks we could look into that wouldn't be quite as expensive to reserve a covered picnic area.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
532 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

OK...another thought! Anyone active duty or retired military? It's been years since I've been there, and pre-9/11 at that (which may affect security and/or they may have abandoned the practice), but there is a Coast Guard Station with a recreation facility just off of Telegraph Road about 5 miles from your hotel. They allowed large parties at their facility which was covered. Check Military District Washington...that's all I got! Maybe someone with better knowledge on the topic will chime in!

Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

Thanks BB, unfortunately no one is active or retired military. I have looked at parks under the City of Alexandria, a few have covered shelters, but you have to be an Alexandria resident to reserve. Can reserve picnic areas at Fort Hunt that don't have a pavillion for a lot less, but then we are sunk if if does rain. Hoping someone else will have some other ideas....

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

Unfortunately, I think that any of the public parks are going to charge you more to non-residents of the city or county in which they are located. I just checked the ones in south Arlington County, and the pavillions are $125 for county residents and $250 for non-residents.

4. Re: Picnic areas near OT Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 03, 2012