We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B advice for DC visit

Marietta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
B&B advice for DC visit

My husband and I will be driving to DC next month, but not driving in DC.we plan to park the car and take the Metro to the in town sights.. We're coming from TN, so thought we would stay in Alexandria, but I have found so many interesting sounding B&B's in te Dupont Circle area.. Would it be a royal pain to cross the river and drive to Dupont Circle? I would appreciate any input

Angie

1. Re: B&B advice for DC visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, April 02, 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
554 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B advice for DC visit

Angie:

To answer your question, an emphatic YES! It would be a pain! If it is the B&B experience you desire and this side of the Potomac to stay, I suggest checking the B&B offering for the Fairfax-Peake B&B. Disclosure - I have never stayed at this B&B, but have seen the home when it was for sale a few years ago. It is an amazing historic home. Further, this home is in my neighborhood. More specifically, it is on my block in the Old Town Historic District. It is a safe and charming neighborhood (If I may say so myself!).

It is on Cameron Street on the very blocks that George Washington lived and worked in his day. George's office is directly across the street. GW is known to have lived and worked there as a young (and famous) surveyor of Virginia. (It also lays claim to our old neighbor Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac) when he owned a jazz club here in town.) Harry "Lighthorse" Lee (R.E. Lee's Revolutionary War hero father) is on the next block. R.E. Lee's home is 3 short blocks away.

The B&B is four blocks from the waterfront and less than a mile (easy and enjoyable walk) to the Metro. We also have a free Trolley that runs the length of King Street (1 block away) from Metro to the Waterfront every half hour.

Parking is onsite, and appears free in their advert here on TA. I can tell you the location is supreme for venturing to our various restaurants and boutiques. You could spend a week simply enjoying what we have here in our own fair town.

As much as I love DC, I wouldn't park in the city on a bet. Dupont Circle is way cool, but in DC proper, a car is a liability to your pocketbook and sensibilities.

I alternatively recommend the Kimpton Hotel Monaco which is at the end of the block from the B&B. It is a fun and funky boutique hotel that is the closest to the Historic center of town. Parking is not included, but all things considered, if you can snag a good rate, can be a reasonable alternative to staying at a boring hotel.

I hope this is helpful!

Marietta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B advice for DC visit

Dear bbbyers,

Thanks so much for your fantastic information. We will certainly check out your suggestions. They were a great help and we are excited about visiting both Alexandria and DC.

Angie

4. Re: B&B advice for DC visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 24, 2012