We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ladera ranch, calif
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dulles to alexandria

We will be flying into Dulles and driving into Alexandria about 7pm on a weekday. How bad is the traffic going east at that time of day?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dulles to alexandria

It can be bad -- the drive might take you as much as an hour or more depending on the day and where in Alexandria you are going. There is significant construction on several of the roads you may need to take both because of a Metro rail project bringing the subway towards the airport, and because of an expansion project on I-495.

Assuming that you will not have eaten dinner yet with a 7 PM arrival, consider stopping for a meal around the Reston Town Center (www.restontowncenter.com/restaurants.html) and then completing your drive after dinner.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dulles to alexandria

I do that trip all the time, and I'm just a few minutes shy of Old Town. It takes me about 40-45 minutes. To Old Town, it'll take you about 45-50. You may get unlucky - DC traffic is notoriously unpredictable - but you'd be safe getting an 8:30 reservation in Old Town. While there are good places to eat in Reston, I assume you're going to Alexandria for the atmosphere so I'd stick with eating there.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dulles to alexandria

So even the worst case scenario means an hour drive? Like AVGeb, I'm a veteran of this trip and never found it onerous - the worst of the traffic is leaving DC & Alexandria and heading out towards the bedroom communities all along 66. So IMO, the traffic ifor that trip at that time is not very bad, just standard big city. Enjoy

Charm

4. Re: dulles to alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, March 13, 2011