We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartrip

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Smartrip

Just one more question; hope you can help. Since we are staying in Alexandria, we will be using Dash, Metrorail and Circulator for our transportation. I have tried to figure out the best way to pay, and guess I'm not as bright as I used to be. Would we be better off paying individually each time on each type of transportation, or would a Senior Smartrip be the way to go? Metrorail is a little confusing about it, so I thought maybe one of you folks could help us out. We are going to have five full days in the area. Thanks again for your help; you all have helped us with our other questions.

Mt Vernon Tour from Washington DC
156 reviews
from $78.99*
Day Trip to Mount Vernon from...
47 reviews
from $56.00*
2-Day Grand Tour of Washington DC
91 reviews
from $135.00*
Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartrip

I am from Australia and used SmarTrip during my recent holiday in Northern Va. It was great not having to worry about whether or not I had the right change or even the right size coin!! - especially as US money is obviously different to our own.

Saved a lot of time at metro stations not having to queue up to buy a ticket each time I caught a train. The convenience of using it on different forms of transport made it a no brainer for me. Just wish we had one in Sydney.......

(I can't believe you guys still have 1 cent pieces!!!!! - I ended up with a whole lot of loose metal at the end of my trip)

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartrip

I second Vacation's opinion. IMO a Smartcard makes sense for five days rather than paying individually for each trip. The cost was supposed to drop from $5 to only $2,50 last week but the Metro web site still shows the $5. When you factor in the hassle of standing in line each time to buy a card plus trying to figure out the cost plus the time lost can be 30 minutes each way (confused visitor takes forever to work machine in front of you - 10 minutes - you miss train - wait another 10-20 minutes) the extra 50 cents or a dollar day is well worth it.

Plus I don't know how you can get your senior discount buying individual trips being out of town without a senior smartcard. Only problem is that senior smartcards are not sold in CVS nor online but must be purchased from Metro sales offices or commuter stores where they can check your ID and I don't know of any near King Street. At least that is what the metro web site says and as I noted at the beginning, that site does not appear current to me.

You are on vacation, so even a regular Smartcard would be my recommendation.

Edited: 9:16 am, September 05, 2010
3. Re: Smartrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 05, 2011