We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potomac Riverboat Co. to Georgetown

Providence,RI
Level Contributor
67 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Potomac Riverboat Co. to Georgetown

I would like to view the DC monuments after dark. However, I read that the 7:30pm Trolley Tours started before sunset so

they did not get to see all monuments lit up. Has anyone been on the Potomac Riverboat to Georgetown this Year? Which vessel (in their fleet ) did they use? What was your opinion of the trip? Did you view the same DC monuments going to Georgetown and coming back to Alexandria? I was hoping to leave Alexandria at 5:30pm and return pm 10:30pm trip.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potomac Riverboat Co. to Georgetown

You might contact the Riverboat company directly to determine which boat goes to Gtown. They are limited by the height and tide to make it under T. Roosevelt Bridge, which is exceedingly low. The cruise is delightful at night when the weather is cooler and less humid. You are limited to the sights along the waterfront. But it is a wonderful way to see our city at night time. Just be sure to guarantee your return trip home with the company via reservation or you will get stuck with a taxi ride home. (Note - the Blue line is not far from the Gtown Waterfront if you should at Foggy Bottom).

We always thrill our visitors with a drive down Independence and Pennsylvania exiting via Constitution to 23rd street to go across the Memorial Bridge. I get a thrill to see the flame on JFK's grave site late at night crossing the bridge, which you can see very clearly when you draw your line of sight down from R.E. Lee's Arlington House at the top of the hill.

Consider engaging a cab ride to glimpse the interior view of our city at night. Our city is glorious at night!

I hope this is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Potomac Riverboat Co. to Georgetown

I have been on the boat trip at night. It is very good -- the views at night of the monuments are very good. We rode two boats -- The Matthew Hayes and the Miss Mallory. We started in Alexandria and got off the boat in Georgetown, walked around for a couple of hours, and rode the boat back later. You can also begin your trip in G'town. Having done both the land and water trips, I'd say the water is definitely the way to go!

Edited: 4:12 pm, August 01, 2010
3. Re: Potomac Riverboat Co. to Georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, January 29, 2011