We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from DCA to Alexandria

massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from DCA to Alexandria

We are staying at the Embassy Suites Alexandria Old Town. Although it wasn't our first choice I am looking forward to our trip. We tried to find a hotel with a shuttle from DCA but nothing was available that would meet all our needs. I know others have suggested taking the Metro to the area but I think I'd like to see if I can get a RT transfer to/from hotel lined up before our trip. Traveling with 2 teens and a husband who needs things to run smoothly. Any suggestions about which company to use. Would also love to hear from anyone who has stayed at ES OT or in this area.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

I'd recommend just taking a taxi. The taxi stand is right outside as you exit DCA. There are generally so many taxis there that you probably won't have to wait at all for one. The fare will be less than $20 (including a tip) and the trip should take 15 minutes or less to the Embassy Suites Old Town.

When you are ready to go back to the airport, if there is not a taxi stand at the Embassy Suites, the front desk will be happy to call a taxi for you.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

While Metro subway is cheaper with fare per person of $1.90 per person at peak times so $7.60 for you four, when you factor in finding the Metro station, figuring out how to work the fare card machines so you each have a fare card, and doing all this with luggage right after a flight, then exiting the Metro station and getting oriented to find the Embassy Suites across the street; I also would suggest just hopping into a taxi cab. You're on vacation and the Metro is much easier without luggage. Taxi's are so plentiful at National, there is no need to try and arrange a shuttle pickup - if you have to be on the lookout for a special van or find where it loads, you might as well take the Metro

Time wise it's about the same, as the Metro time is about 7 minutes on the subway but getting in and out and up and down the escalators and stairs makes the total elapsed time the same as the taxi cab

Charm

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

oops, my wife just reminded me that if you just miss a Metro train, then you will have to wait 10 minutes for the next one. (it would be twenty but you can take either the Blue or the Yellow Line trains which alternate)

so a taxi would be faster as well as more convenient and enjoyable

Charm

massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

Great. After doing a little research that's what I was starting to lean towards. Anybody have any thoughts about Embassy suites in general or the area. It sounds great! Sounds like it might actually be a little relaxing...well maybe not with 2 teens. Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

I haven't been to this particular Embassy Suites, but I have stayed in a lot of Embassy Suites hotels around the country and it's one of my favorite chains. I like the hot breakfasts in the morning and the cool drinks in the evening and I have always taken advantage of their fitness rooms, pools and business centers. The only possible drawbacks to this chain is its popularity with school groups (which shouldn't be a problem in the summer, I guess) and the poor quality of the sleeper sofas (although I hear they have recently renovated their rooms, so hopefully they got new sleeper sofas too). You can learn more about this particular Embassy Suites by reading the reviews on this site.

Despite the name of the hotel, you won't actually be in Old Town Alexandria. Rather, you will be about 3/4 mile away from the edge of Old Town. The hotel offers a shuttle bus to/from Old Town or you could just walk it. There are many nice stores and restaurants in Old Town and the area itself is very charming and historic. You should have a good time there.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

This hotel is in a busy area directly across from the metro. It is central to getting in and out of Old Town to other destinations via the subway. As for the one writer saying its not in Old Town...it is indeed in Old Town, just not in the historic core. It is safe and accessible to everything.

There is a free shuttle that runs from the Metro down King to the Waterfront. Shops line King and the adjacent blocks, so lots to see. The shuttle stops are clearly marked on King Street. (worse case its an easy mile walk from the hotel to the waterfront).

As for the cab, it should cost no more than $12.00 rush hour might alter that if you are sitting in traffic. It is cheaper than metro.

I hope this is helpful.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

I contacted the embassy suites just to see if they offered any type of shuttle-and of coursr they dont't but they did say that a taxi cab would cost about 40 dollars. That's alot more than what everyone else said. Does that make sense?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

Well, let me put it this way. I live equal distance from DCA Reagan Airport and ES. Cab fare for (one) mind you, averages 12 bucks. Add bags and additional riders and I still don't see 40.00. Timing again, is everything since sitting in traffic will cost you, but we are only talking 3 miles from the airport. So its not that far to warrant that cost.

Assuming we ARE talking DCA and REAGAN...I can't imagine more than 20 with tip and lots of bags! If that's the case....walk out of the terminal and take Metro....its just that easy.

Just my experience.

I hope this is helpful.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

Google Maps shows that the distance from Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) to the Embassy Suites Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia is 5.5 miles. That is almost exactly the same distance from DCA to my house in Arlington, Virginia. We make this journey a lot and our cab fare is always under $20.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from DCA to Alexandria

I can't conceive of how this would be a $40 cab ride, even with a lot of luggage in traffic. If you tip generously, maybe you'll hit 25 or 30. But not $40. Again that's from DCA. If the desk clerk thought you were asking about Dulles (IAD), $40 becomes plausible / too low.