We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

East Prov, RI
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

We are flying in to BWI for July 2-6. Not planning to rent a car. Is there any way to take public transportation to visit the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles from Old Town?

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

While the web site says you can, no matter what I inputted into the metro trip planner, it did not show anything . Wikipedia says

"While it is possible to get to Udvar-Hazy from the National Air and Space Museum using mass transit, there currently is no direct transit route on either the DC-based Metro Rail or bus system to the museum... Shuttle service directly from the National Air and Space museum on the National Mall to the Udvar-Hazy Center was discontinued in 2006. The National Air and Space Museum has a flier available to patrons with shuttle bus schedules and bus and route information. "

So you would need to take public transportation to Dulles Airport itself then catch the Virginia Regional Transit shuttle bus to the museum. http://www.vatransit.org/bus_schedules.cfm

Not many questions about it as the steep parking fee of $15 and lack of mass transit easy access make it more trouble than it's worth for the majority of tourists.

Charm

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

This question has come up in the District of Columbia forum previously and here's a link to the best answers I have seen: http://tiny.cc/v02i7

As you can see, the route involves a lot of transfers and takes nearly 1.5 hours. If you are in a big group, perhaps you could justify a one-day car rental to get out there. But remember that there's a $15 parking fee at Udvar Hazy.

It's too bad that the museum is so far away and not accessible by public transportation because it's got some really neat exhibits. But, they had to find a big piece of property for this museum and property is at a premium around here.

East Prov, RI
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

Thanks, Charm2017. I found that metrorail and metro bus would get me to Dulles but didn't think to check out the VA bus service. I'll look into it as some friends told us how great this museum was. They and were staying just outside the city had a camper. Thus, no worries about transportation.

Thanks again.

4. Re: public transportation to Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 25, 2010