We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to DC?

jc tenn
Level Contributor
550 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry to DC?

I'd like to get from the Embassy Suites in Alexandria to National Mall without going on the Metro. I understand there is a ferry. Any advice?

I don't like the idea of going UNDER the Potomac River. I had to drive under the bay to get to VA Beach not long ago and I didn't like it. Claustrophobia...

KC

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to DC?

Yellow line goes over the river.

There is a ferry from Washington Harbor which is a hotel/conference center complex across the river from Alexandria in Maryland. This is no where near the National Mall.

I am pretty sure there aren't any passenger services that go up the river to the downtown area.

Is your issue ONLY going under the river, because the majority of the Metro service in the D.C. area is underground. If your only issue is the river, just get into town on the Yellow line.

jc tenn
Level Contributor
550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to DC?

I saw these "water taxis" and thought that would work - but not if they don't go near the National Mall: www.potomacriverboatco.com/newtaxi.php

I don't like the idea of an underground subway - but going under the river would be worse! If I get on the "yellow line", I'd have to transfer somewhere to get to the National Mall, right?

Hotel said taxi to the National Mall would be $25 each way...

KC

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to DC?

cattailgal

The YELLOW line metro (subway) goes Directly to the mall. The Archives/gallery place stop on 7th street is two blocks from the Mall and the East & West Smithsonian National Art Galleries. The L'enfant Plaza stop has many exits but two of them put you within two blocks from the Mall. the view OVER the river from the Yellow line subway is very nice. I commuted metro for thirty years and the last fifteen were using the Yellow line which is 5 stops and 10 or 15 minutes faster than taking the Blue line subway from King Street (both blue and yellow lines service King street which is in walking distance from Embassy suites. Finally the Yellow line also goes directly to a newly remodeled smithsonian museum of portraits and wild wild modern art that kids like because it looks like the "art" was done by their compatriots in grade school not to mention the huge glassed in atrium with a trickling brook. Take Chinatown station for that plus to see the China town arch. Basically the Yellow line takes you everywhere a tourist wants to go except arlington cemetary. People get confused because DC named one subway station on the blue line the Smithsonian but the Mall is many blocks long. I used to love to watch the Georgetown University students rowing in the morning mists as the sun came up over DC.

finally there is a water sightseeing boat from Alexandria to Georgetown DC which is good for shopping but nowhere near the mall.

The windows are big on the subway and it is not claustrophobic. Just buy a smart card for each of your kids and yourself and enjoy the metro ride. Plus you can take the free trolley down King street at night to the waterfront for all the great resturants.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
539 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to DC?

Charm is correct! Yellow line is best if you have issues with the Metro. Avoid the Blue line, both will get you to the King Street Metro Station, where Embassy Suites is across the street.

5. Re: Ferry to DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 24, 2009