We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Activities in Alexandria

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Top Activities in Alexandria

Today's Alexandria Gazette had an article on the latest tourist research. Thd top activities Alexandria visitors enjoyed were fine dining (29%), museums (27%), visiting historic sites (26%) shopping (25%), art galleries (14%) and old homes/mansions (12%).

Most of the domestic visitors were from New York City (14%) Washington DC (13%) and Philadelphia (6%). Annual total: 3.3 Million visitors. It did not count the international visitors.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Activities in Alexandria

"Museums, 27 percent" ? ? ? They must mean the museums in D.C. I can't even think of any museums in Alexandria proper, other than the little-known Patent and Trademark Museum at Eisenhower Avenue, the tiny Fort Ward Park civil war museum, the George Washington Masonic Memorial, and the little-known Stabler Ledbetter Apothecary shop or the Friendship Fire House.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Activities in Alexandria

Stabler Ledbetter Apothecary shop: Now that is really interesting, fun and easy to do. Especially since they have spiffed it up. My favorite was the upstairs "vault" with the original wooden boxes filled with herbs such as "dragon's blood" . The view from the entry steps or at the top make visiting the Masonic temple great. Fort Ward's re-enactments are free. But I agree that most visitors to Alexandria would be staying here and doing the museums in DC. I know we visit at least two of the Smithsonian museums each month for various exhibits.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
554 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Activities in Alexandria

Don't forget Mount Vernon!

4. Re: Top Activities in Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, October 05, 2009