We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

In check about getting to Mt. Vernon via the rail from the Eisenhower metro station and then the bus later in mid Oct. According to the bus schedule it appears that it drops a person off 4 blocks away (fine), but we would be walking on VA 235. Is this a safe area to walk. Sounds like it might be a highway which usually doesn't have sidewalks, etc. Advice would be appreciated.

I'm also concerned about the Fairfax bus strike?

We will have one free day with no car and are located in a hotel near the Eisenhower metro station.

Thanks

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

If it is a nice day (not rain) you can enjoy most of it at Mt. Vernon...they have expanded it in recent years....

You'll find agricultural displays and exhibits

that are really interesting..

You'll also find a huge new museum that is really fantastic...

You'll be able to have lunch there if you like....it has changed since I ate there last.

I recently found Kenwood House outside of London on the London Forum....and we took a tube/bus adventure ...just like you are going to do....

We had a great time....and so will you !

Don't be shy about asking for help...

12. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 pm, October 04, 2008
scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

I hope you looked at this :

http://www.mountvernon.org/

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

Wow, you have really found out a lot.

Whether you could spend all day depends on when your day would start; just how interested you are to puruse everything carefully; how much any special collections at the time interest you; the weather...which would invite slower walks outdoors and more time spent admiring the Potomac; any special events that might be going on; whether you spend time on lunch there.

We used to drive there many times a year when we lived closer, and occasionally were not able to accompany houseguests who made their way to the Huntington Metro. Touring with our houseguests, hiking to outbuildings, poking through shops and admiring the view could fill an afternoon if no event were going on. But now there are the two new education facilities that have opened that offer a lot more to see...The Ford and the Reynolds.

The gardens will be lovely for a while yet. The Pioneer Farm and all the trails. During some of the special days...like the Fall Festival...there are river tours to view the plantation from the Potomac. There are guided tours or you can look on your own.

Some friends who remain up there say there is a tour baed on the movie "National Tour" that goes behind the scenes from the movie...till 10/31.

I just now pulled up the site just for a quick check on directions by metro/bus. On the first page, I see The Fall Harvest Days are 10/18 and 19. The china collection might be beautiful to see too.

Okay, they mention Hungtington as the base metro station. That's the one friends go with. The trip planner says if you take the metro at Eisenhower to go to Huntington via the yellow line and then get the Fairfax Connector. I just reallized why. At that point of Alexandria, Alexandria is also in Fairfax County. Inside the Beltway...like at Eisenhower...you'd be in the city of Alexandria. So I guess the Fairfax Connector takes one near but not into the city.

Now I'm on the schedules. Fascinating. You can take 101 as well that goes back and forth between Huntington Metro and Mt. Vernon using Fort Hunt Road.

That's the one I was thinking of I think. Takes about 25 minutes.

Then there's the two routes that make a loop.

151 is 38 minutes there and 39 minutes back.

151 and 152 seem to have the same route but take opposite directions so instead of following each other they are passing each other en route.

You could probably take whatever comes along first or fits your arrival time best. 151 and 152 would take you through a lot of neighborhoods and some of the Rt. 1 main drag.

Have you pulled this up yet?

www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/south.htm

Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

Thank you so much. Yes checked out the Fairfax connector and "trip planners".

Thank you for the info on Mt. Vernon Looks like we will easily spend the day there. I think we are set. Thanks for everyones help!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

As a follow-up. We just returned from the visit to Mt. Vernon via bus and the #101 was quick and near the entrance. We met others who took the 151 and it did arrive at the entrance, but took a much longer time to get there. The people on the metro and bus drivers were all very helpful.

The assistance with the mass transit question was very helpful. Thank you.

17. Re: Amtrak station to Mt. Vernon via mass transit? safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, October 11, 2009