We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

My husband and I are planning a long weekend visit to Alexandria/Mt Vernon in Oct/Nov. We've been to DC many times and not interested in hotels or transportation there but prefer to stay in Alexandria and want something convenient to Mt. Vernon. I know there are hotels outside of Mt. Vernon but we thought that staying in town would be closer to good dining and evening entertainment options. We usually stay in B$Bs but I have not found anything that is not geared to DC visitation. Any suggestions?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

I would recommend the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria. We stayed there last weekend (I need to post my review!) and on Friday morning made the quick 15 minute drive to Mt. Vernon. Basically, you turn out of the parking lot, go 3 blocks, turn right and head straight to Mt. Vernon through some nice neighborhoods.

The Residence Inn is also only 2 blocks from a Metro stop into DC and about 5 blocks from all the restaurants, shops, and bars in Old Town.

Level Contributor
503 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

Yeah, why don't we have B&Bs in Alexandria?

There are several hotels on King Street that would be good for you. There's a Hampton Inn (1616 King) as well as the place the previous poster suggested. Or Hotel Monaco in the heart of Old Town.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

if you will have a car

read the TA reviews of the Old Colony Inn

I don't see how you can beat it for $99 with free parking and it is a straight shot from there to Mt Vernon....mabye 20 minutes or a tiny bit more.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
532 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

Sorry...no B&B's. Legal at least. Mostly due to parking and city regulations. Old Town is where you want to be. However, if money is no object and you are looking for a smallish venue. Try the Morrison House Inn on Alfred Street. However, they may be still under renovations...hopefully they have completed. They are expensive...but lovely. Hotel Monaco is the most centrally located hotel in the historic core at 500 block of King Street. Others are located at the King Street Metro. Residence Inn is also super. I put my family up there over holidays.

To specifically answer your question...there are NO hotels at MT. Vernon. Despite what websites may show...only seedy hotels along Route 1. Stay in Alexandria...you will be glad you did. Search on zip code 22314.

5. Re: Hotel convenient to Mt. Vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 06, 2009