We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

Hi everyone! We plan to spend our 25th anniversary seeing DC. Will have 4 nights. Im overwhelmed with visitor's bureau info. My husband wanted to stay right near the historic DC Mall, so we could walk around at night. Several friends told us night walking is not safe in DC and highly recommended staying in a hotel in Old Town, Alexandria.

Any recommendations will be so greatly appreciated! 25th anniversary is a big one!

Thanks very much everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,533 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

The Morrison House is a wonderful Hotel. I've stayed there twice this year and it was just great. I paid about $200/night after all the fees, parking was $15/day or you could park your own car in a cheaper lot and walk over. The staff is very attentive and the location cannot be beat. There's tons of fantastic restaurants and shopping just steps out your door. They offer free hot breakfast (at least they did when I was there in May and February). The rooms were all generously sized and since its on a side street theres no busy street noise out your window.

Dcd is very easily accessible. You just catch the free trolley up to the metro station to head into the city for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Morrison House...
791 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

Your friends are wrong. The areas of DC with the tourist sights and attractions are perfectly safe to walk around at night (provided you use common sense, of course.) You'll find hundreds of people around the monuments and memorials after dark and the restaurants in areas such as Penn Quarter are hopping at night.

I see no reason to stay way out in Old Town Alexandria, as nice as it may be, if your intention is to see DC and if your budget allows for a DC hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,533 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
597 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

Heather: Downtown DC near the tourist zone is fine. I'm a local and staycation in downtown DC for fun. There are a few places I would suggest if you can swing it! The Willard and the Hotel Monico are two places I highly recommend. See my reviews!

However, I'm a shill for Old Town, voted the most romantic town in America for a reason! For a marquee event I'd highly recommend using Old Town Alexandria as your launching place for your visit. The Morrison House, The Alexandrian, and the Kimpton Lorien and Spa Hotel all on King in the historic district (zip code 22314). Check out visitalexandria site for more ideas. King Street Metro is convenient to the Washington Mall Museums!

I'd add a restaurant idea for your big event at Restaurant Eve to top off your special day!

https://www.visitalexandriava.com

I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to inquire further if you need help!

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,533 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Morrison House...
791 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
The Alexandrian...
1,940 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Kimpton Lorien Hotel...
1,406 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Restaurant Eve
Restaurant Eve
423 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

I agree that Alexandria is wonderful place, but that is a visit all it's own. If you are really planning to do DC you will spend too much time and money going back and forth between Alexandria & DC. DC is PERFECTLY safe. My husband and I often spend evenings at restaurants and events downtown and walk around with no problem. Like any city there are areas that are not safe, but as others have said the downtown tourist locations are completely safe. Note that you are in a city so you do need to be aware of your surroundings. If it is DC you want to do, then stay downtown. Check out the hotels here on TripAdvisor and then google map restaurants near the hotel address. The more restaurants "near," the more bustling the night scene will be.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
5. Re: Please help with 25th wedding anniversary plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 08, 2018