We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic on 95 south

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic on 95 south

Best time to avoid gridlock on 95 from Alex to Richmond on a weekday in mid October?

Alternatively, best times to start back to Richmond?

Thanks.

Edited: 7:02 am, July 02, 2017
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
600 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic on 95 south

Mary: Not being cheeky here, The month doesn't really matter. If you want to head to Richmond with no traffic, it would be between the hours of 9pm and 4am, even then is no guarantee due to accidents. If you google map and use the traffic button, you can see regularly dark red from around the 6am - 9:30 from below the Occoquan River bridge all the way to the 14th street Bridge. Going south it begins to be red from DC line to Occoquan and spotty thru Stafford and Fredricksburg between 2:30pm till 7:30.

Confession - I work from home, but daily notify my husband which way to head home, so I only have a birds eye view of traffic mostly from the city to Alexandria, where we are hemmed in for hours with traffic passing through as I monitor Google maps. There are Express Lanes, which can speed you along, which frankly is an expensive luxury that, depending on your view, is worth every penny. Hopefully others who tread the asphalt with regularity will chime in to help you.

Karen B

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,769 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic on 95 south

We don't make that drive regularly, but we do it often enough to know that what Karen has said is all too true.

You just never know what kind of traffic you will encounter on this stretch of highway, but you have to expect backups. We made this drive just last Tuesday and we're amazed that we encountered little-to-no slow traffic in either direction. But as we left the DC area that morning heading south around 9:30 am, the northbound lanes were at a standstill or moving very slowly for miles. Likewise, on our trip northward in the early evening, there was about a 15 mile stretch of I-95 southbound that was stopped due to an accident.

Edited: 9:06 am, July 02, 2017
woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
787 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic on 95 south

I live in Woodbridge just south of Alexandria and while what's been stated is somewhat true, if you can head south in the morning hours you'll be better off. I'd say anytime from early morning thru even 1pm should be fine. Now you may encounter an unexpected backup from an accident and it does bottleneck for a short time right before the Occoquan bridge and again just before Stafford but you should be ok leaving Alexandria in the morning. You're against the flow of traffic the whole time then.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic on 95 south

Perfect. Thanks.

5. Re: Traffic on 95 south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 04, 2018