We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Ohio
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

I am trying to plan a family trip in late May to the DC area, and so far we are planning to stay in Alexandria. I would like to visit the Chesapeake for part of a day. Is there a convenient spot to explore a quiet beach, or rocks, and search for sharks teeth?

I would like it to be close, on Alexandria's side, as I don't want to cross the Bay Bridge. We have a few in our family afraid of heights, myself included, so it sounds terrifying! In fact, we want to see the ocean, in either Maryland or Delaware, for a day as well, and it looks like we will have to drive about an hour longer to avoid it.

Thank you!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
597 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Memory:

I have family that experience the same terror. There is even a name for it. (I paste a story from a few years ago on this below). There is a company that will (for a fee) drive your car across the bridge for you, if that's an alternative. Everyone can close their eyes for five minutes and its over! It would be a shame to miss seeing the ocean which is so close! Lots of options in Deleware from the C Bay Bridge, like Lewes, DE, Rehobeth and Bethany beaches are lovely and less than 3 hours away.

huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/chesapeake-bay…

kentislandexpress.com/drive-over-bridge-airp…

Sandy Point Beach on the western side of Chesapeake Bay is a lovely beach near the Bay Bridge.

…maryland.gov/publiclands/…sandypoint.aspx

Alternative is to head south and go to Virginia Beach where there is a tunnel instead (4 hour drive).

Keeping it local avoiding tall bridges, you can head south to St. Mary's County Maryland where the Potomac meets the Patuxent River at the Bay at Point Lookout! All lovely drives and views of nature.

…maryland.gov/publiclands/…pointlookout.aspx

As for sharks teeth, there is only one place I am aware of that had I not seen with my own eyes I would never have believed existed. Friends once took me boating on the lower Potomac somewhere near Quantico that when the tides were just right, was a jetty of nothing but fosselized sharks teeth.

Perhaps others on this thread can chime in with more ideas about where to find sharks teeth for you!

I hope you find this helpful!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Greetings Memory Maker,

My cohort Karen B has posted great suggestions...In regards to sharks teeth... I have explored the Banks of the Potomac & Westmoreland State Park.....I have Found little treasures after a storm & at low tide... Bring a flat strainer...

Always check to make sure where you are exploring is not an official dig site...

You should be able to find more info using google search...

Kesh_grammy

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,558 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

the Bay Bridge:

Some interesting observations posted, and amusing.

We enjoy the the Bay Bridge, and often seek crossings out, when in the area.

And we gladly pay the toll for the experience.

Ohio
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Karen,

Thank you so much for the advice and links! I will read them and share the options with my husband. We've never been to this area, even though being in Ohio, we're not too far away. I'm looking forward to this trip and thought had it pretty much planned out, until I realized about that bridge. :)

I appreciate your help!

Ohio
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Kesh Grammy,

Thank you for the location help and advice. My youngest was very excited when I mentioned we might be able to find sharks' teeth on our trip! We've never had the chance to do anything like this, so it will be interesting for the whole family.

I appreciate your help :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Savant,

I bet the views are really amazing from the bridge! And quite an experience...but I had no idea it's listed as one of the scariest bridges to cross until I started learning more about it. The biggest bridge I have crossed is the Ohio River....so you can tell we haven't been able to travel much, and I'm trying to change that! :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Memory Maker,

You are most welcome...I have also found them on Occracoke, Outer Banks & Pamlico Sound.....The sand strainer was one of the kid's sand toys...

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 11:11 am, January 25, 2017
Level Contributor
690 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/westmoreland

Level Contributor
690 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Wouldn't let me edit my post.here is compete post.

Http:/…westmoreland

Above is link for Westmorland State Park in Virginia, Southeast of DC, on the Potomac River, great park with regular programs. Check out the Web site and other nearby state park locations.

You could also get on route 17 at Fredericksburg and head south east thru small towns on the Bay, many with sandy beaches. Colonial Beach, Reedville, Urbanna, Mathews.

Here is more info.

Www.northernneck.org

Edited: 1:41 pm, January 25, 2017
Ohio
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Closest/Best spot to explore the Chesapeake Bay

Joy,

Thank you! I appreciate the link and park locations.

I'm so glad I made an account here, everyone has been so helpful. :)