We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

We are hoping to plan a trip to Alta this winter, and wanted some direction on these two lodges. We usually stay in condos with kitchens, so this will be a different type of vacation. There are 6 of us, a family of 4 with small children and two grandparents (who don't ski). They are quite content reading a book and hanging out with non-skiing kids - so we don't need a lot of non-ski activities. We understand what Alta is, and have skied there before.

I'm trying to get a comparison of these two lodges to get a feel of what's better for our group - or if we need to look for condos (which for Alta I would prefer to stay at the base).

Thank you!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

Both are great experiences. We just spent a weekend at Alta Lodge three weeks ago. They are somewhat comparable but overall I would probably lean to Rustler.

Alta Lodge is a bit closer to the main base, closer to a few other restaurants, etc. It has a tow rope to get back up where Rustler has a short chairlift. Rustler is a bit more modern and probably better overall facilities. Better pool at Rustler. I think the food is pretty comparable.

You don't have a lot of condo options at Alta - might check around VRBO but they're sparse up there and don't think many or any have as good access as Alta or Rustler Lodges.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but would probably steer you to Rustler first.

Have fun. We're due for some good snow this year ... I hope.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

Thank you.

Is the environment different at the two lodges? I'm looking for the atmosphere, as we will have some non-skiiers hanging out a lot.

Yes, we were in DV last year, and very little snow. I've never seen it like that.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

Boy, that's so hard to characterize in words as it's very personal. And lot of what I think goes into atmosphere is historical - i.e. past experiences at a place. I do prefer Alta Lodge. But I think someone coming in neutral would opt for Rustler. It really is a bit more upscale and a bit more polished. Both give you that Alta rustic feel, but Rustler probably has a bit more of a quality feel to it.

That's probably of only limited help but hopefully some insights. Both of them do have pretty decent photography on their respective websites so you can do a comparison that way. And others may chime in with an opinion.

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

Alta Lodge......older, more history...rustic......great Apre' bar in the Sitzmark.

Rustler Lodge.....newest property, has own lift, costs a little more to stay, but worth it, because of the newer amenities.

Alta is a magical place.....for the description of your trip, I would say Rustler......but if you are traveling with people who are more "rustic" and want the "feeling" of an old fashioned ski lodge at one of the great US resorts.....you could choose Alta Lodge and not be disappointed either.

Have a great trip.

5. Re: Alta Lodge vs. Rustler Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 09, 2015