We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

Which Alta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

It doesn't look like this forum gets alot of activity, but thought I would try anyway.

I have the chance of being in Alta for 3-4 days in early Dec. What are the ski conditions usually like during this period ? I wouldn't book until a few weeks out, but am curious how many lifts / runs are usually open and what the runs are like.

I am an intermediate level skier and have been to Alta before. I also am making the assumption that Alta is likely to be much better than the Park City area in early Dec.

Thanks for any insight !

IMB

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

You are correct to assume that ski conditions may be better at Alta in the early season. We were just hit with a cold front and the temperatures plummeted but no snow fell. But the ski resorts are taking advantage of that drop and are busy making snow right now. Typically early December skiing in Alta has most of the runs open but some could have exposed rocks or trees so you have to be aware of your ski run. I hope that helps.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,751 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

It's definitely early season so that means partial openings and subject to what weather we might have happened to have so far. But you can't go too wrong. It's cheaper and you'll for sure get some memorable skiing there.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

Thanks for both of your helpful replies. The frost is on the ground in Michigan this am, so I guess it is time to get those skis tuned up :) !.

IMB

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

I just got back from Utah over Thanksgiving weekend.

The mountains are about 1/2 opened but not much snow. There is some snowmaking but there's not a lot. I'm from NY so the skiing was similar to the north east -- no powder, sometimes icy. The difference was the weather was great out there.

Alta - half open, good time

Canyons - half open - gets more sun than Alta

Solitude - was empty...about 30-40 cars in the lot. the slopes were deserted, not many trails open.

I'm sure they are all fantastic if there was more snow, but I enjoyed Canyons the most then Alta. Alta was nice because only skiers are allowed.

5. Re: Early Dec Ski Conditions ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, September 14, 2015