We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Rafael, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

ANy opinions? Which is the more comfortable, more elegant, service, whatever? Thank you, whomever you are! - Beryl

houston
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

the Hilton is new, stay at the four seasons if you can't do the Hilton

Milwaukee, WI
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

If you're still looking to go to Austin, you've got some choices. If you stay at the Hyatt, get a room facing north and as high a floor as possible. Some of the best views in Texas. The Hilton is new and I just stayed there. The room views facing west are good but not as. But the common areas are nicer than the Hyatt which is looking a little worn. Not bad - but not new. Of course, don't eat in either hotel. At the Hilton, you can walk two blocks to the best BBQ in the city (Ironworks). There's not much great by the Hyatt so you have to cross the river for the best eats. Have fun.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

I would go with the Hilton. It's newer and very comfortable. However, service is anonymous and the place feels like a warehouse. Both hotels are very nice.

Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

I am a frequent traveller to Austin have had extensive experience with both hotels.

Some things to think about:

Hilton:

It is new, big, and pretty, the beds are comfortable, and the location convenient to downtown. However, there is a *little* bit of a noise problems during the weekend. Try to ask for a room as high up as possible *AND* on the corner. If the room is not on one of the corners, then it is on the small side. Do not get a room that faces the freeway. Last time I was there the construction noise made me change rooms twice. Parking is a bear at the Hilton because parking in downtown Austin is a frightening excercise of hills, bad drivers, and sadistic meter-maids. You must valet. Not the first choice if I am going to be driving to Austin (which I invariably do). However, if you are looking for a nice hotel in a great location to the Austin downtown nightlife, this is a fine choice. Lovely little pool and great workout room, friendly staff. If you can, the concierge levels on the top two floors are probably worth it. I enjoyed the continental breakfast, cocktails and hors d'vours.

Hyatt:

Older, not as pretty, bed not as comfortable but a gorgeous view and less noise problems on the outside...if there's a wedding or a high school prom I would avoid this hotel because the noise in the arboretum (and all rooms face the arboretum) can get atrocious. The city/Lake views are phenomenal and the walking trail is very nice. They also have a nice workout room and pool, but age is a bit more evident than at the Hilton. Staff is competent and I usually have a minimum of problems. I usually stay here for about $89-100 on Hotwire which makes it a much better deal than the Hilton. Also, it is more easily accessable to 35 than the Hilton, parking cheaper, and more efficient. Its a $3 cab ride to downtown if that's your thing.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

gmh wrote:

"At the Hilton, you can walk two blocks to the best BBQ in the city (Ironworks")

Sorry, my man, but you are very wrong on this. Iron Works is a very poor example of Texas BBQ and I would hate to waste a visitor's time and money by sending them there. They cook with GAS, not wood and that pretty much says it all. For really great BBQ, travel 20 minutes down US 183 to Lockhart and sample the BBQ at Black's BBQ, Smitty's and even Kreuz'. All will be so much better than IW you will not believe it. If you can't get out of town, go to John Mueller's on Manor Road a few blocks east of I-35. It is the best BBQ place in Austin, but not as good as any of the joints in Lockhart, The OFFICIAL BBQ Capital of Texas.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing Austin Hyatt to Austin Hilton (both Downtown)

If you want "elegant" go with the Four Seasons. If you want a generic, new, "downtown" feeling hotel, go with the Hilton. If you want a nice hotel with Texas ambience and feel to it and great river and city views, and great $$ value choose the Hyatt.