We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin Renaissance, JJ Pickles Research Center

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Austin Renaissance, JJ Pickles Research Center

Hi!

Does anyone know about the above topics? We're thinking of staying at the Austin Renaissance, and I noticed the J.J. Pickles Research Center of the U. of T. is nearby. Is this a research area where there'd be science conferences, etc. I don't want (and I say this half-facetiously) any recombinant DNA in my hotel room!

austin
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin Renaissance, JJ Pickles Research Center

JJ Pickles research center is a UT research facility NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC except by special arrangement. (named for our beloved retired democratic congressman). Yes, they handle nuclear materials and other nasty things there. Yes, I would worry more about the exhaust fumes from the highways. Why the Renaissance ? Boring area of Austin. Strip Malls and pavement, anywhere ugly USA. If I were you, I would try to re-arrange to a hotel in the downtown area or south congress area so you can get around and have some choices of things to do/see/enjoy. Maybe the San Jose Hotel on South Congress would be more fun.....We also have a great B& Bs- one called the Mansion at Judges' Hill is closer to the university area and very fine. If you can-do a search on the web for B&B's and see whats' up. Travis Hts is another great area, and also, Hyde Park. There is always the Lake too-there is the Hyatt Hotel downtown on Town Lake, also the Embassy Suites on Town Lake, and the Radisson and Four Seasons on Town Lake. Any of those will pre-position you for good times and good eats, good shops and galleries and lots of fun. Hope this helps!

austin
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin Renaissance, JJ Pickles Research Center

JJ Pickles research center is a UT research facility NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC except by special arrangement. (named for our beloved retired democratic congressman). Yes, they handle nuclear materials and other nasty things there. Yes, I would worry more about the exhaust fumes from the highways. Why the Renaissance ? Boring area of Austin. Strip Malls and pavement, anywhere ugly USA. If I were you, I would try to re-arrange to a hotel in the downtown area or south congress area so you can get around and have some choices of things to do/see/enjoy. Maybe the San Jose Hotel on South Congress would be more fun.....We also have a great B& Bs- one called the Mansion at Judges' Hill is closer to the university area and very fine. If you can-do a search on the web for B&B's and see whats' up. Travis Hts is another great area, and also, Hyde Park. There is always the Lake too-there is the Hyatt Hotel downtown on Town Lake, also the Embassy Suites on Town Lake, and the Radisson and Four Seasons on Town Lake. Any of those will pre-position you for good times and good eats, good shops and galleries and lots of fun. Hope this helps!

austin
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin Renaissance, JJ Pickles Research Center

oh, forgot to mention- Town Lake is the dammed-up Colorado River. It meanders thru our downtown area and is the North/South dividing line for the city. Lovely park with jogging/walking trail surrounds both sides of the riverbank-landscaped by the late Roberta Crenshaw and LadyBirds' efforts. It leads into the heart of austin=Barton Springs Pool and Zilker Park. enjoy!