We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

Hi there,

I am travelling to Austin at the end of september and am looking for inexpensive, safe accomodation which is pretty central to most of what Austin has to offer, e.g 6th Street, UT etc. I am not taking a car and I love to walk everywhere and explore areas on foot, so I would like somewhere central. I am also a girl travelling alone so I need somewhere where I will feel secure! I have been looking at the Austin Motel and the Star of Texas Inn but would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. My budget is preferably under 100 dollars but up to 150 dollars for the right place.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

Howdy! Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the Star of Texas Inn; I've had one family member consider staying there with her husband but I think they ended up staying at a hotel. I can tell you from the location that while it is fairly safe (West Campus), those streets are a tad dark at night. I would not be concerned about violent crime as much as noise and teenage drivers careening around narrow streets in their daddymobiles. It looks beautiful, though, inside and out. West Campus used to be wall-to-wall old homes with porches like this, but then the Condo beetle infestation came.... okay, enough ranting. The other thing about the Star of Texas Inn is it is not very convenient for a walker interested in visiting downtown. You'll still have a six-block walk to get home after you get off the bus on Guadalupe.

Austin Motel is a fabulous choice for a carless one. It's in a safe neighborhood (just be careful crossing Congress Avenue) with good shopping and food in easy walking distance (i.e. Vespaio, Curra's, Fran's Hamburgers for victuals and Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds, Allen Boots, and various unique boutiques for clothing) plus Amy's Ice Cream and the Continental Club on the other side of the street. You're also a short bus ride (or walk) from the Sixth Street and the Warehouse entertainment districts, which are north of the river (the Austin is south). If you'd prefer a hotel closer to downtown that's still less than $150, I'd look at Extended Stay America, at 6th and Guadalupe, or the Radisson, which may be just over your budget; I'm not sure. $100 central may be hard to find, but I'm not familiar with some of the newer hotels in the district. Both places are safe; central Austin has a very visible police presence, and a lot of foot and vehicle traffic well after midnight. You should feel safe crossing the Congress Avenue Bridge any time of day if you like.

Hope you enjoy your stay and welcome to Austin!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

I second ttims response about the Austin Motel and its location 100 percent! My favorite part of town for bumming around and taking in the local flavor. I have stayed at the Radisson before for less than 100 bucks a night. Most people are still likely to avoid the heat here this time of year, so you might get on the tail end of a summer rate at a better hotel. Another really cool option right next door to the austin Montel is the San Jose. It is more cush and lots more expensive. I think the smaller rooms are not too bad.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

Hampton Inn Downtown.

It's what you're looking for.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

Thank you for your help. I have booked the Austin motel for all but my last night in Austin as they were booked out for my last night, so I will look at the other suggestions for my final night there. Looking forward to experiencing Austin!

5. Re: Safe Central Reasonably priced accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 24, 2009