We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the better location

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the better location

We're considering staying at either,

The Fairfield on 4525 S Interstate Highway 35 OR

Hampton on 4141 Governors Row, Austin.

The Fairfield has a free shuttle, would the location on Governors Row be accessible for public transport?

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the better location

Neither of those locations is handy for public transportation. When you say "better location" and mention shuttle, I'm thinking shuttle to the airport. but neither is a good location for downtown activities.

The hotels are probably fine for a night's stay if you do want to use your car and don't plan to have a drink or two. I don't think there's anything especially within walking distance of either location except for perhaps a chain restaurant?

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Austin!

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the better location

The Fairfield has a free shuttle service to downtown Austin. It is for a 1 night stay

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the better location

As yankeetransplant mentioned, neither hotel is close to anything. Even if the Fairfield has a shuttle to downtown, I'm guessing it is not for late-night activities, but rather provides service for business travelers during the day. With only one night in Austin, you will have a much better experience if you stay downtown, within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and music venues. There is a Hampton Inn and Suites downtown, as well.

Boston
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the better location

Is it worth paying the extra money to stay downtown, even with having a car?

If so, is there any hotel you know of that is relatively cheap but decent to stay at on a budget?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the better location

Jammer, you will likely get more responses if you start your own thread, but I will say that it is most definitely worth paying the extra money to stay downtown, especially if you are a first-time visitor. Austin's character is largely centered around downtown and most visitors are curiouis about it's nightlife and you just can't fully experience that if you are driving, worried about having a place to park, and making sure you have a designated driver. I'm not sure what your idea of "cheap" is, or what your budget is, but the Extended Stay hotel on 6th and Guadalupe is usually the least expensive option downtown. It's a basic, no frills place, but the location can't be beat.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the better location

Jammer, I notice you're from Boston so perhaps you're thinking you'd have a rental car? If you're just here for a short time, stay downtown, even take the Airport Flyer 100 bus from the airport. It only costs $1.00 and serves downtown and UT then back to the airport, runs every 30 minutes. Parking a car in the downtown hotels overnight is pricey, only hotel downtown not charging for parking is the Extended Stay that MrTed mentioned. It's a good option.

You definitely don't want to stay in the outlying areas - cheaper hotels but you can't ever know what Austin is about if you're out there.

ps- you're can't have the second margarita if you're staying out there either! Police are extra vigilant watching for DUI.

Welcome to Austin!

Boston
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the better location

Thanks! Yes im from Boston, i am traveling from Dallas though (as i am here on business), so i will have a rental car.

8. Re: Which is the better location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 31, 2014