We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK guy excited for first Football game

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leigh-on Sea...
6 posts
Save Topic
UK guy excited for first Football game

Hi All

My friend and I are from England and we have tickets for the Longhorns game on the 31st August. Neither of us have experience of the sport and are looking forward to throwing ourselves into the TX spirit. Any advice on how to get the best out of the game and tailgating would be greatly appreciated.

Not long now!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

First, get there early (a few hours). Tailgates happen all around the stadium, but the majority are south of campus (south of MLK Blvd). If you're friendly enough, you might be able to fall in with one or more of them, especially if you bring beer. Look for large smokers with wispy, pale blue smoke coming out. That means brisket (among other meats, most likely), and you want to eat that. Tailgates with brisket are the tailgates you want to join.

I'm being totally serious when I say let them hear your accent. It's novel in Austin. My suggestion would be to comment on how good the smoked meats smell. Maybe even ask them a question or two about said meats. Smoking aficionados love to talk about their craft. Also, wear burnt orange (make sure it's burnt b/c construction worker orange will invite ridicule). If a friendly Brit wearing burnt orange and carrying beer comes along, the tailgaters might very well invite him in for some brisket. I would.

If you aren't able to crash a tailgate, go to Scholz Garten on San Jacinto between 16th and 17th. You can buy big beers there, and it will be festive.

If you want beer during halftime, go across the street from the stadium (west side) to the Alumni Center. You're supposed to be a Texas Ex to get in, but they usually don't check at halftime. They have beer, brisket sandwiches, etc. for sale. The brisket is nowhere near as good as you'll get from a tailgate with a proper smoking operation, but it's not bad.

Hope you have a good time, and Hook 'Em!

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
775 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

Have you searched "tailgating" in this forum? That will let you know where clusters of tailgaters are, but if you're walking from downtown to the stadium, you won't help but find these.

Most important? Wear burnt orange. If you don't have any, go to the UT Coop, or any Academy sporting goods store prior to game day.

Make sure you get in the stadium before the band marches in.

Be friendly and strike up conversations.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

Yes and whatever you do, don't wear maroon color. Find a store, Academy or even WalMart and get some school colors going and you will be welcomed.

Leigh-on Sea...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

Thanks guys.

I have got a couple of Longhorn jerseys and caps for me and my mate (his is a surprise) so hopefully this wont seem too over the top for novices. We'll be happy to bring the beer. It's all about mixing with people and enjoying the atmosphere!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

Please keep in mind that while you are enjoying the tailgating, in addition to the beer, you need to drink lots of water. It will be very hot at the end of August, probably still at least 100 degrees (37 C), and even hotter in the stadium. Alternate between beer and water to stay hydrated.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

It would be nice if you could report back on this forum after the game to let us know about your experience. We'd love to hear what you think.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,969 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

hah, hah..nothing is over the top when wearing UT articles of clothing

I don't think you will have a problem finding some group to invite you into their fold.

enjoy! an evening game but it will still be wamrm and sultry. Casual wear, hat and glasse a must and probably a little sun screen as well.

here is something to get you in the spirit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57jhWyFLD5U

8. Re: UK guy excited for first Football game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 24, 2014