We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

Want to visit Austin and stay at one of the above hotels - while they are located all over the city - what would be the best area to stay in? Also, many hotels in Houston are currently being renovated after being used for long-term housing for hurricane evacuees -- are any of the Austin hotels in the process of or in need of renovation from the same circumstances or are any of them still being used for long-term housing?

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

The best place to stay would depend on what you want to do. I'm guessing you're doing the usual tourist activities, which in that case you'd want to get as close to downtown as possible. Generally speaking, staying on the west side of IH35 is best. (I'm not sure where these hotels are located, and I'm running behind schedule, so I can't look them up or I'd be more specific.)

About the renovations, I couldn't say. Perhaps someone here can answer that one, if you can't find anything in the TA reviews.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

Howdy! I haven't heard anything mentioned about the above hotels with regards to renovations. AFAIK, the only hotel in downtown Austin that have housed Katrina evacuees was the La Quinta next to the Capitol. There may be others; I just don't know what they are. The Hyatt Regency just south of Town Lake is undergoing renovations dramatic enough to have disgruntled a previous poster to this forum, and I think they are continuing into July.

With regard to the best area to stay in, the Residence Inns are not close to downtown at all -- not yet, anyway; the new Convention Center Residence Inn is opening in August. I would recommend the Extended Stay America just west of downtown. I personally have never sayed there but have heard nothing but good things about it in this forum and elsewhere. It's an easy walk to the Sixth Street music district, an even easier walk to the Warehouse District or Congress Avenue (with buses to most tourist attractions), and easy to find good, reasonably priced restaurants. 6th and Guadalupe is also a safe part of town. If you are coming on business or need to stay further northwest, the Residence Inn near the Arboretum gets high marks from visitors here, too. Make sure you choose the Arboretum Residence Inn, not the one on Parmer Lane.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Hyatt Regency Austin
Hyatt Regency Austin
2,365 Reviews
Austin, TX
Town Lake
Town Lake
433 Reviews
Austin, TX
The Arboretum
The Arboretum
37 Reviews
Austin, TX
Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

Thanks everyone. Anything in particular wrong with the one on Parmer Lane (or is it just the distance from downtown)? I've got some family members that I think booked at that one. I wasn't going to book that far out, so if I did go with Residence, I would definitely look at the Arboretum.

Mentioned in this post
The Arboretum
The Arboretum
37 Reviews
Austin, TX
Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

Nothin' wrong with the Parmer Lane location, other than it's not close to the Arboretum! I think a previous poster actually said they liked the hotel except for the location.

Mentioned in this post
The Arboretum
The Arboretum
37 Reviews
Austin, TX
Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

We always stay at the Amerisuites right off the I-35....a good mexican restaurant right in the parking lot, "Texas Land & Cattle" right across the freeway and less than 10 minutes to 6th Street.

Very clean and a free breakfast to boot!!!

6. Re: Fairfield, Springhill & Residence Inn in Austin --

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 16, 2009