We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Hike?

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon Hike?

Where's a good (and safe) place to take a full moon hike in the Austin area Saturday night?

I don't want to go all the way out to Enchanted Rock b/c I'll be driving back late and will hopefully have a group going that won't want to go to too much effort to get there. Thanks!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon Hike?

When I was a UT student we would sometimes go to Mt. Bonnell on moonlit nights. Not a hike, though; more like a stroll to the top. In those long ago days the park didn't have open/close hours but I suspect it does now.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon Hike?

The park closes at 10 PM.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon Hike?

Sunset is 8:36 p.m. in Austin on Sat so that would allow a good view of the moon for awhile. Zilker Park is another option within the city. Presumably it closes at 10:00 as well.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon Hike?

It looks like moonrise is at 8PM and 'high moon' is around midnight.

I think all the city parks close at 10 PM.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon Hike?

I've learned that this isn't your every month full moon. This is a super moon--the closest the full moon ever gets to the Earth. An option for seeing it safely away from city light but reasonably close to Austin is Pedernales Falls State Park near Johnson City. The park is about an hour from Austin.

6. Re: Full Moon Hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 23, 2014