We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

scottsdale, az
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

Hi all,

We just spent 4 days in Austin and really liked the area. We are thinking mor seriously about relocating.

After driving around and using a lot of the great suggestions from my earlier post, we ruled out the Round Rock area and also Dripping Springs (lovely, but just a bit too far for us).

We really want to be in a master planned community with lots of amenities so that it will be easier for us to meet people - and the ones we liked best are Steiner Ranch and Circle C Ranch. We're open to any other developments that any of you might know of in either area. We'd also love to hear the pros/cons of living in either Steiner or Circle C. We liked the tons of trees in Circle C, but for some reason we didn't get as much of a community feel as in Steiner. In either place, it doesn't look like we'll get new construction as they're mostly in their last phases. Ideally we'd like somewhere similar to either place but with new construction - something in an earlier phase of development.

Any thoughts? you all have been so helpful so far!

Mentioned in this post
Austin, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Steiner Ranch has some homes with beautiful views of the land and the lake. It's very hilly in much of that area, which makes it hard for children to ride their bikes. However, I understand the schools are very good, it's got a large young-family population, and there are some magnificent homes for reasonable prices.

Circle C, I think, has far more to offer. Although it doesn't have the kind of views you get in Steiner Ranch, it's a wonderful community that is well taken care of and overseen by the Association. The landscaping of the grounds is kept up regularly as you can tell by the beautiful trees, flowers and shrubberies along Escarpment Blvd and LaCrosse Avenue. The prices range from mid 200's to the 400's. You can buy a home in an older part of Circle C that was built perhaps in 1990 or a little earlier -- and get a property with lots of trees. There are also many new-home communities. The newest are those being built now pretty far South. Very large range of styles... lots of new homes and lots of older homes. Great selection.

There is a community pool, a golf course, a playground, a wonderful school (Kiker) -- and even another new school being built in the newer area. There is also a brand new shopping area right in the middle that has a supermarket, bank, etc... (Perhaps you saw that on your trip here?) It's incredibly convenient to all.

One of the reasons I love living here --besides its reputation--is the actual location. Mopac borders the Circle C neighborhood --so you can just hop onto that road and it will take you where you need to go-- In 5- 10 minutes you'll hit the exit that will take you to all the shopping: Walmart, Linens & Things, World Market, Home Depot, Kohl's, Target... and so many many more stores and restaurants and medical bldgs.

Or you can take the next exit after that which will bring you to a huge Mall (with Sears, Penney's, Nordstrom's, Dillards,etc). As someone noted already, Mopac is a wonderful road.. it will get you to the city in no-time (15 minutes).

I could go on and on but by now you may already have made your decision! oh, just one more thing. Although Steiner Ranch is very popular and its residents will swear by it, I'm sure, I find that it's too far away from the city of Austin. I'm not even sure it's actually part of Austin proper??? Maybe someone else could answer that. BUT it's very very hard to get into town. You have to take that ungodly curvy road --2222-- and although the scenery is gorgeous, it's very dangerous and very slow going...

I would love to hear what your final decision is--and what you thought of some of the communities you've seen. (Another community is the Covered Bridge area in SW Austin -- between rte 290 and rte 71. They also have a great community and beautiful new homes --and there are some hilltop views here as well!)

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

One note on Circle C: The Meridian area at 45 and Mopac is *not* part of Circle C. It's a self-contained neighborhood that will have its own pool and is slated to have an elementary school sometime in the future. Alta Mira, which is on 1826 and will eventually hook up through Spruce Canyon to Circle C West, *is* part of Circle C.

Just to make things simpler. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Austin, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

Thankyou for the correction.. I didn't realize that new area wasn't going to be a part of Circle C. But that makes sense if it's south of Rte 45.

14. Re: Austin: Steiner Ranch v. Circle C - thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 14, 2009