We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin airport and traffic

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Austin airport and traffic

Hi, how busy is Austin airport and how crazy is the traffic in Austin? My flight leaving Austin around 6:30pm. So i want to see Austin in the day time (downtown area) before heading to the airport. But would like to know what time I should leave for the airport to meet that flight time?

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin airport and traffic

If you're leaving from downtown, as long as you avoid IH35, it shouldn't take too long to get the airport. This does put you right in rush-hour time frame. If you don't need to check bags you could probably leave downtown as late as 2 hours before your flight (heading east to 183 from 7th or Cesar Chavez) it should take 20-30 minutes. Sometimes security lines are long (needing the full 2 hours) in the morning, but I haven't seen that in the evening. UNLESS you're leaving after a busy event. I'm one of those travelers who likes to get to the airport with ample time, and there's plenty of good counter service food places in the airport to get a last taste of Austin before you board your flight.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin airport and traffic

I'd recommend you be headed to the airport no later than 4. You didn't say if you'd have a rental car or would be using other transportation?

There is heavier traffic than normal in all parts of downtown as well as the airport with SXSW right now. All it takes is one little fender bender to cause back ups.

The Austin airport has local food rather than the usual airport chains. You can pick up something for the flight to Boise.

Hope you've had a good time in Austin!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin airport and traffic

I agree with yankeetransplant. Leave downtown no later than 4pm. At that time, you can usually get to the airport pretty fast if you take 7th Street out of downtown. Returning a rental will take some time, and check-in and security lines may be long, but that should give you plenty of time.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin airport and traffic

It is a rental car -

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin airport and traffic

4pm should still be fine. If I recall correctly, you aren't here right now, but coming in May, right? If you leave on a weekday afternoon, the trip to the airport will not take long at all. Lines tend to be longer on Friday afternoons, but otherwise, I haven't experienced terrible lines on weekday afternoons at ABIA.

Level Contributor
19 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin airport and traffic

The problem in the past has been the security lines - I would definitely err on the side of caution.

For anyone else traveling during SXSW: get to the airport early. I almost missed a 7AM Monday post SXSW flight a couple years ago despite arriving at the airport door at 5:30. Luckily, Jet Blue was holding their flights that day, AA did not.

7. Re: Austin airport and traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2014