We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Pfafftown, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

We are making a trip to Texas in early April and will spend a .day in Austin. Need a good restaurant for lunch on a weekday. Years ago we went to the Oasis on Lake Travis and loved it! But the current reviews are awful - can Forum commenters weigh in?

Reading through the restaurant reviews, I noted Franklin BBQ. It sounds great but the waits appear to be daunting. Is there a seating area inside? And, is it possible to get there early enough to get in right away and if so what time would that be on a weekday?

Any other recommendations are welcome. We will be taking local relatives out to lunch - nothing "exotic" please, such as the two excellent Japanese top-rated ones, "That dog won't hunt"!!

Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Perhaps Moonshine on Red River behind the Convention Center or South Congress Cafe would be of interest. Another choice might be East Side Cafe on Manor Road. You can goggle all of these for menus.

All three are consistently good food and service. Menu is varied and everyone can find something they like.

We still haven't eaten at Franklin Barbecue because we hear its fantastic but we're not willing to juggle the time needed to get in!

I can't say anything positive about the Oasis.

Welcome to Austin!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

People start waiting in line for Franklin's at about 9:00am. They start serving at 11:00am, and serve until they sell out, which they do every day. Like yankeetransplant, I haven't been, even though I hear it's great, because I just don't have 2+ hours to spend waiting in line for lunch most days.

I will second all of the recommendations made above. Threadgill's may also be a good spot for your group. Good, Texas cooking, and nothing exotic - http://www.threadgills.com/

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Have a look at the Hyde Park Bar and Grill. I haven't been there for a while, but enjoyed it the last time I was there. Perhaps one of the local folks have an opinion on this.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Both Moonshine and Hyde Park Bar and Grill are a couple of my favorites.

There are a couple of areas where you could do a little shopping and many restaurants that would be an option on a weekday for lunch - the 2nd St. district (Garrido's, Austin Java), or the lovely Soco area with Guero's, food trucks and Enoteca.

Enjoy!

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Moonshine is a good choice, but get it before 12:00, it can get crowded. I love Hyde Park Grill and the good thing are the other spots right there next to it if it's full. Asti, for Italian food is 100 feet away as is Dolce Vita for a really casual lunch. Downtown, I think The Roaring Fork is excellent as is Manuel's Mexican restaurant.

Pfafftown, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Pfafftown, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Thanks. It doesn't appear that Eddie V's is open for lunch? But otherwise seems to be a great restaurant.

Edited: 10:52 am, February 23, 2013
Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Eddie V's is not open for lunch. However, they have a great happy hour.

austin, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

Sullivan's steak house downtown is good & has more reasonably priced food than at night. Moonshine has valet parking which is a plus, though it's a little pricey by Austin standards. Ditto Sullivans. Both have very upscale atmo. Moonshine is louder due to beautiful old stone walls.

Franklins is over-hyped - you can get good BBQ at lots of places around town without the stupid wait.

S. Congress Cafe food is quite good -but like most Austin eateries, can be very loud. If your relatives are older, East Side Cafe is a much better bet.

I find Threadgill's a little bland, but they do offer a good veg selection (tell your adventurous eaters to try the jalapeno salad dressing "yummo"!) & their tried & true standbys like chicken fried steak are ample (enough for 2 normal people & tasty)

I like Hyde Park food but it's getting a little long in the tooth (time to switch out the carpet).

Didn't say where you are staying or how much you want to spend. Austin has a very active food truck scene which is quite fun (many allow byo-beer).

My personal favorite is Mirabelle - 10 mins from town, just off Loop1 AKA (MOPAC) - with a deliriously diverse menu, reasonable wine list & nice ambience.

If you're relatives are from here & haven't been to Vivo (Tex Mex) - definitely should consider as their patio is nice & margaritas are devilish . It's near East Cafe - at Manor Rd & I-35.

10. Re: Restaurant for weekday lunch in Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014