We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from san antonio

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
driving from san antonio

We are driving to Austin from San Antonio...in one direction we

would like to take a slower more scenic route if that is

possible.

Going back we will be taking the freeway as I assume that

is the quick route.

Any ideas for the most scenic/interesting way for us?

Thanks in advance.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from san antonio

Try 281 north from SA to 290 in Austin. I-35 is an eyesore, and this should take you through WImberly, Dripping Springs, etc... Or try 281 to 183 if your final destination is N. Austin.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from san antonio

In Austin 281 and I-35 are quite a ways apart, in SA much closer. Leaving SA on 281can be problimatic, traffic in the evening is aweful because of all of the commuters.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from san antonio

Howdy! 281 to 290 will not take you to Wimberly unless you also take 12 north from Dripping Springs. That's a bit of a trek; you might be happy with just 281 to 290. If I were you I'd get a Texas Gazetteer and check out the routes -- AND keep it in the car in case you get lost. Mine's at the office, so I'll write again tomorrow!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from san antonio

281 can be awful during the PM commute; just go early. A westerly route like 281 is much more scenic than i-35 or anything east. Where you get off 281 is largely dependent on what part of Austin you need to get to.

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from san antonio

The travel will be on Saturday May 27 to Austin and back

on early Sunday May 28. I'm hoping Memorial Weekend

traffic will be less?

Would Dripping Springs be a fun place to stop?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from san antonio

Kinda off topic but on our drive back from San Antonio we took the freeway and got nabbed in a police speeding sting. There were three other cars pulled over by the police. Really looked like the police were just trying to generate tickets. The speed limit signs change. Be careful!

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from san antonio

Okay, I'm at work with my Gazetteer right in front of me!

The route most everyone has talked about is taking US 281 north from San Antonio, then turning right on US 290 E. This intersection is about 8-10 miles north of Blanco. If you're not used to seeing multi-lane highways intersect in the middle of nowhere, well, welcome to Texas.

An alternate route, good mostly for saving just a few minutes, is to turn right on Texas 165 right before you hit Blanco. This will run into US 290 at Henly. There's some quiet ranch and farmland on the road, but nothing much else except in wildflower season.

A second alternate route, that adds more miles and highways, is to take 281 N and turn right on 306. This will take you past some Canyon Lake residences, though it's north of the lake itself. Take 3424 north to 32 (east) and finally, take 12 north. This will get you to part of the Hill Country Trail. You can stay on the trail, which goes to Driftwood and beyond, but I'd recommend taking 12 north. This will take you to Wimberley, a nice enough place that you could stop and look around. From Wimberley, you can take 12 to Dripping Springs, and keep going until you hit 3238, which heads east to Bee Cave and on into Austin, or you can turn right at Dripping Springs and go into Austin on 290.

I know very little about Dripping Springs except that its slogan is "Gateway to the Hill Country", which is about right, and that it is a popular residence choice of Austin professionals who prefer country lifestyles. It's what I consider a long commute to work (DS is still in Hays County) but some people are used to longer. Check out www.drippingspringstx.com for more info.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from san antonio

Sorry to hear about your getting snagged by some Hays County yokels. I know that they look for out of state plates on that stretch of the highway. I-35 in Hays County is very dangerous because of all the children in attendance at Texas State U. I think it would be fully justified to expand I-35 out to six lanes each way from Austin to San Antonio.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from san antonio

I always take 281 to SA, but then I live in Southwest Austin. Dripping Springs doesn't have much for tourists. The Nutty Brown Cafe is on 290 east of Drippin', and they have some decent bands in the evening hours on weekends. If it's cool enough to sit outside, it might be worth a stop.

I avoid IH35 at all costs. It's hideous, congested, and a very stressful drive, IMO.

Happy trails!

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from san antonio

DO NOT drive I-35 EITHER way.

The 290/281 route everyone has talked about is the FAST route.

The SCENIC route will take you from Austin on 183 (near the airport) south thru the BBQ Capital of Texas, Lockhart and Luling, then on I-10 west into SA. This trip will take two hours+/- INCLUDING a stop for some the best BBQ anywhere in the world and BY FAR the best in Texas.

Blacks and Smittys in Lockhart and City Market in Luling offer excellent brisket, sausage and pork ribs. All open around 9am and serve til at least 5pm. This is a DONT MISS sort of deal. See the website below:

http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/

BONE APPETITE!!