We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

Hi guys I'm looking to do a holiday in 2014 in Texas. I'm looking to do Austin and San Antonio in 10 days with my mom and dad. I'm just decided which month should we go with good weather no storms or hurricanes just nice weather, a nice 4-5 star hotel I'm not bothered about the price just good size rooms and nice views of the river walk in San Antonio and a nice view in Austin and are the people in both city's friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to your ideas for my planning of going to Austin and San Antonio

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

Both Austin and San Antonio are far enough inland for hurricanes not to be a real issue. If you're hoping for cooler temps and fairly consistent weather, fall (September and October) are probably your best bets. May is also good as the University of Texas is out but schools are still in. Since I live here, I've not actually stayed in any of the hotels but you will probably want to stay near the river (Town Lake, Lady Bird Lake). There are quite a few hotels in that area. The W Hotel is the newest one and looks pretty nice. I'd steer away from the Hilton Garden Inn (had a friend stay there and it was a dive). The Driskill is the oldest hotel in town and nicely situated on Sixth Street. The Stephen F. Austin hotel is also historic and recently renovated.

You'll definitely want to have some barbeque while you're here. Franklin Barbeque on 11th and I-35 is very good. It's only open for lunch as it sells out quickly. If you want Barbeque and music, Stubbs on Riverside is good. If you have a car, The Salt Lick has the best ribs around. I recommend the family style meal. They bring heaping plates of barbeque, potato salad, beans and coleslaw to your table until you can't eat any more. They'll even box up left overs for you - all for about $25.

There are quite a few walking tours or if you prefer, there's also a Segway tour. If you're here when the bats are, watching the bats come out for their evening feedings is pretty amazing. There is a boat that does a sunset bat watching cruise or you can watch from the viewing area below the bridge or from on top of the bridge.

If your family likes history, you can visit the state capital where there are free tours or visit the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum (which presents history from our point of view). There are some nice galleries in Austin. Laguna Gloria and Elisabeth Ney sculpture gardens have lovely grounds.

In terms of Live music, you can grab a copy of the Austin Chronical (http://www.austinchronicle.com/) for free around town (or just look online). They usually have a good list of who's playing where.

In terms of friendliness, I think Austinites are friendly. We get lots of visitors so folks are used to

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

For good weather, April and May are nice, as are October and November. It can still be very hot in September.

For a larger room that will give you and your parents more space, look at the Embassy Suites Downtown/Town Lake. It is not 5-star, but nice and in a good location. (There is a Four Seasons in Austin, if money really is of no concern.) Gail gave you some other good options as well. Note that the W is very hip and trendy, and with a music venue onsite, it does attract crowds at night. Unless your parents are very into that sort of thing, it may not be the best option, but it is in a great part of town.

If you give us some idea of what you all like to do, we can give recommendations for activities, etc. With 10 days, you'll have plenty of time to explore both Austin and San Antonio, and even venture out into the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Trying some Texas BBQ should be on your list. Gail gave you the top spots, but note that Stubbs is on Red River, not Riverside, in Austin. Salt Lick in Driftwood is probably the best bet for visitors, as it provides nice scenery along with the excellent food.

I encourage you to post in the San Antonio forums as well, if you haven't already. The locals there can give you some excellent advice.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

For hotels in San Antonio if you want to stay on the Riverwalk I would suggest the Marriott Towneplace Suites. They are on Houston very near a couple of entrances to the Riverwalk, plus they are only a few blocks from the Alamo. The hotel is fairly new opened in late 2010 (I think). They offer breakfast and the hotel is beautiful and easy to get to. Parking is somewhat of an issue - you can park yourself at a garage a few blocks away for around $10 a day or you can valet for $20 or $25 a day.

There is plenty to do within walking distance and there is a trolly stop right outside the hotel. A cute little bar across the street, nothing fancy but they offer quick bites and cold drinks.

Austin has so many hotels to offer - my favs are the Hyatt Regency on S Congress and the Driskill.

Enjoy your trip. Also I agree with the other comments Feb, March, April and then Oct, Nov are the best months to visit this part of Texas. I will be in San Antonio this weekend - staying in Hill Country. If I have anything new to report I will let you know.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

I would encourage you to visit the official web sites of the two cities, order the visitor guides and begin to pick out sights you especially want to see or do. The info will also be helpful as you begin to look at distance between sights/ cities etc. The local newspaper is www.statesman.com.

visitsanantonio.com/visitors/…index.aspx

and www.austintexas.org

Since you will be traveling in 2014, there will be changes - more hotels opening in downtown Austin for example. Tours may and probably will change.

Welcome to Austin!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

On the Riverwalk I would suggest the new Embassy Suites. You will get 2 rooms, one with 2 queens or a king bed and one with a sofa sleeper as well as a TV in each. Nicest new hotel with best free breakfast and happy hour on the river. Ask for a river view as the opposite view is not that appealing.

Luke restaurant inside is quite elegant as well.

Edited: 1:55 pm, February 05, 2013
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,636 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

a go-between possibly for one night for some Texana...Gruene Texas in between AUS and SA

historic dance hall, restaurant overlooking the Guadlupe river, general store etc.

check the music calender

www.gruenehall.com

stay next door

http://www.gruenemansioninn.com/

check the music calender

www.gruenehall.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKA4nm_2_8Q

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

A few of my favorites as a recent transfer to Austin:

Don't overlook Rudy's for barbecue.

La Condesa is an excellent Mexican restaurant downtown.

Browse through the shops on South Congress after having breakfast at the Magnolia Cafe. Save room for a snack from the food trucks.

Check out the LBJ ranch, and visit Fredericksburg and Wimberly while you're out there.

8. Re: Austin and San Antonio 10 day holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 08, 2014