We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to drink but not drive

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I want to drink but not drive

My husband and I will be visiting Austin in April next year. When we vacation we usually rent a vacation home. I've done a little looking around and it seems that most vacation rentals in Austin are further than walking distance to the restaraunts and clubs.

We want to feel free to drink while dining or listening to music but we absolutely don't drink and drive.

Can any of locals on this forum provide some suggestions for a good solution?

A little background:

The reason we rent vacation homes is because we like to have breakfast at home and it's so nice having more than just a bedroom for our stays. An outdoor area is also a bonus. We could stay in a hotel/motel if it's a suite with a living room and has some type of kitchentte. Now, I'm not talking about a suite at a fancy hotel - that would be out of our price range.

We haven't decided about renting a car but most likely if we stay on the outskirts of town we will.

We wouldn't want to spend much more than $200 per night.

We're not opposed to taking taxi's if they are easy enough to find - in some towns they aren't.

Quite a list huh? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to drink but not drive

Cabs are almost always available at The Driskill hotel which is more or less in the center of the downtown area where a number of clubs and restaurants are located.

You can check a site like Expedia for your dates and specify downtown Austin. Hotels prices can be really high during special events.

Off the top of my head, Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, and Extended Stay America have kitchenettes, but they all are on the periphery of downtown.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to drink but not drive

The Extended Stay is actually in a perfect location for what you want to do. It's on the corner of 6th and Guadalupe, within walking distance of the Whole Foods Flagship store and Walton's, where you can get all sorts of yummy breakfast things to take back to your room. You are also within walking distance of several new bars and clubs on West 6th, as well as within just a few blocks of the Warehouse District. It's by no means "fancy", but it's a great location, usually reasonably priced, and will give you some extra space and a kitchenette. If you do decide to rent a car, it is also one of the only hotels that offers free parking in an actual parking lot adjacent to the hotel, not in a garage several blocks away.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to drink but not drive

The car is king in Texas and things are spread out. Mr. Ted is spot on (as usual) about the best choice if you're trying to avoid using a car. The type of music and/or venue your looking for could also affect your choices. For example, I would highly recommend Gruene Hall (about a 45 minute drive south) for a Texas Dance Hall experience if you're in to that kind of music.

Got a question for Austin Experts - Do you have any recommendations for places featuring "hand-crafted cocktails" or "pre-prohibition" style drinks? That's a big trend here in SA - with several new bars opening in the last few years.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to drink but not drive

This is a brand new hotel that just opened and their suites have Mwave and frig:

OCTOBOY, here are some places featuring hand-crafted cocktails:

http://eastsideshowroom.com (Speakeasy you mentioned)

The W Hotel Bar

Austin’s Sixth Street welcomes Haddingtons, an American tavern and restaurant inspired by culture, heritage and British-influenced American cuisine. Opening in December at 601 W. Sixth St. in the heart of downtown’s hip restaurant and bar scene, Haddingtons is the latest restaurant creation from New York City restaurateur Michael Polombo, owner of Austin’s popular Mulberry restaurant and bar. With a chef-driven menu and handcrafted specialty cocktails served in warm, stylish surroundings that thoughtfully pay homage to the early American industrial era, Haddingtons offers a dining experience unlike anything else in Central Texas.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to drink but not drive

You've been given some good advice, and while we think Gruene Hall is great, it's definitely not a place to drink and then drive back to Austin.

Extended Stay America is quite a bargain. Basic hotel, kitchenette, free parking, and in a fantastic location for downtown drinking and eating.

Free parking comes into play in you want to rent a car for a day or two.

On this board, someone just mentioned getting the Radisson for $115 a night. That's another good choice. You would have to pay overnight parking if you're there. But again, staying there, you don't need a car unless you venture outside Austin.

Try to start an evening off with Esther's Follies at 6th and Red River. And have a drink at the Driskill Hotel bar, grand old hotel that's beautifully restored.

Welcome to Austin!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to drink but not drive

Thanks Georgetowngal... Haddington's looks interesting. I'm more of a beer and whiskey person, but I think the wife would really like a place like that.

7. Re: I want to drink but not drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 17, 2013