We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

.....I really want to go to this festival for a few hours ..... sounds interesting....but I will be staying at Amerisuites which is, I believe, Tudor Blvd, not too far from Arboretum.

Is there any public transportation, or should I get a taxi? Will I have a problem getting a taxi back? I tried to find info on the internet, but apparently I am not looking in the right place.

Thanks for your help.

mskjme at aol dot com

Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

I wouldn't count on public transportation, especially from the Arboretum. The bus system is great around the downtown area, but it's not the best on weekends or up on the north side (where the Arboretum is). If you want to go around downtown, hop on one of the "Dillo" buses, which are free. Just in case you want to research the bus thing, check www.capmetro.org.

Honestly don't know about taxis. I worked downtown for a few years but I don't remember an abundance of them. However, with the festival, it's likely that there will be a lot more around. And who knows, maybe the public transportation will have something special as well.

Enjoy your time in Austin. This is a fantastic city.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

Howdy! You can get a taxi at most of the Arboretum area hotels, but it will be an arm and a leg to get downtown. The bus lines from the Arboretum only go downtown in the morning and back in the afternoon, I think (check my math at capitalmetro.org or (512) 474-1200). Frankly, you might think about renting a car -- it won't be that much more than cabfare back and forth downtown and you'll be able to go some other places too. The Festival is worth checking out. My only other thought is whether there might be some sort of shuttle bus downtown offered by your hotel.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

Thanks for the replies. I am going to hope that some of my friends who are at the same hotel (and most likely will have a car), will also be going, and perhaps be kind enough to give me a ride. I was ORIGINALLY staying at Embassy Suites down town, only moved to Amerisuites because most of my friends are staying there (which makes it easier to get rides!!!). I may change back to Embassy suites to due the location.

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PEcan Festival - Sat May 6....Question for locals

I'd second the rental car suggestion. I think you could snag a small one for a day for less than the cost of a cab. You might need to pay to park downtown, unless you park on the street somewhere and walk, which is how I always do it. But some folks need parking closer in, and need to pay the $5 to $7 it costs to park.

The festival is crowded but fun. I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck!