We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

HI! Will be staying in Austin for 1 or 2 nights before heading back to the airport. Wantt o enjoy the shopping, walking, and absorb the scene in the vibrant city. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay that wont empty my pocketbook??

Thanks!!!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

From The Arboretum to downtown is roughly a 20 minute drive during non rush hour.

See my first post regarding hotels.

The Arboretum is about a 45 minute drive from the airport, btw.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

Got it...going to look int hte downtown area....if you have any suggestions of neighborhoods let mek now...meanwhile I will review your last posts..thanks again!

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

The Radisson on Congress and Cesar Chavez.

Sheraton around 8th/I35

Hotel Casulo (I/35 and Oltorf)

Also check yelp.com for events.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

The Sheraton is more of a convention and business hotel and isn't that convenient to downtown. It is nice, though.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

Of course you can stay in the 'burbs and drive into downtown, but as yankeetransplant noted, you could be stuck in traffic depending on the time of day, and you will need to have a designated driver if you plan to drink. Staying downtown will be much more fun, and it will really give you a taste of what makes Austin so special.

The Driskill is a beautiful historic hotel right in the middle of downtown. It's a little pricey though. There are Hampton Inns, Courtyard by Marriott, and others downtown as well, and good rates can usually be found on Priceline or Hotwire. Wally mentioned the Extended Stay, which is on 6th and Guadalupe, earlier. This is the best priced hotel in a prime downtown location. It's nothing fancy, but the location really cannot be beat. Another area to consider is South Congress. This is really where "the scene" is in Austin. There are several locally owned hotels on South Congress, with the Hotel San Jose and the Austin Motel being very popular. Austin Motel is the less expensive option in that area.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

Recommendation depends on your price range. There's nothing really "bad" downtown. Lowest price will be Extended Stay American at 6th and Guadalupe. Basic hotel, but fantastic location. Next lowest would be La Quinta on 12th near the Capitol.

Top of the line - Driskill on 6th, historic old hotel, beautifully restored. Four Seasons on Cesar Chavez, bland but Four Seasons service.

Lots of options inbetween..

Extended stay is only one with free parking. Other downtown hotels will charge for overnight parking.

If you like Hilton properties, it's hard to beat the Hilton on 5th and Trinity for location. There's also the less expensive version of Hilton in Hampton Inn , Second and Brazos. Another good location.

You can tell, lots of good options for "downtown" - don't need a cab but if you want one, easy to find and not expensive.

Also not expensive, definitely quirky and good location is the Austin Motel on S. Congress. Again, it's a good walking location for downtown and S. Congress music, restaurants, people watching.

Hope this helps?

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

I don't recommend the Hotel Consuelo at I-35 and Oltorf. This is far south of downtown and chancy area. No walking anywhere from here.

Sheraton at 8th is also not a recommendation if you can find anything else. You would not want to walk back to hotel after dinner, drinks etc. This is very near area where our homeless are served and there are some dark areas between downtown and the hotel.

Apologies to the person who recommended them but there's a lot to take into account when choosing a place to stay.

MrTed's advice is right on.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

We always stay at Austin Motel - park the car and walk everywhere. Next door is San Jose...much more expensive. Tucked into the neighborhood is St Cecillia - pricey too.

You would miserable out in Arboretum.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

I just looked at published prices and I can see the dilemma. Properties like the Hilton Garden Inn and Radisson have really raised their prices since the last time I shopped them.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Short stay in Austin...2 nights. Good hotel suggestion?

I have recommended and booked hotels in Austin (specifically downtown) to and for corporate executives, cross country travelers, and many others. I have never received a bad review!