We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin Changing

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Austin Changing

When someone has questions about re-locating to Austin, it seems that everyone laments how much Austin has changed. (And they blame it on the damn Californians moving in!) But any popular area will change as the population increases and homes are built and shopping centers, etc., are added. In the process, nature gets sacrificed. I grew up in Southern California in the 50's and 60's and stayed on through the 80's, and I saw paradise destroyed. I've watched South Florida swell in population since I came here in '88, but development has not been as shocking since nature in a pristine form had long been gone due to the degraded state of the wetlands.

My question is: How do you stop "progress?" How do you minimize the impact? You can't prevent people from moving to a desirable area.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin Changing

Hi Calif-FloridaBoy,

I cringe when I read some of the comments about Austin ruined by Californians moving in.

Yes, Austin is changing, but it has been at the forefront of trying to minimize the impact on its aquifers, green spaces etc. Austin is usually looked to by urban planners as an example of a city that's trying to do it right.

Unfortunately, not everyone sees that change in Austin could be much, much worse.

And it's true the suburbs around Austin look like suburbs anywhere - pavement, strip malls, and big box retailers.

Visit Austin and see what you think?

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin Changing

You can't stop progress or growth of a desirable area. I moved here from Florida and the best thing I've found is the people. They are actually tolerant and easy going, not something I found in all my years of living in Florida.

I rarely hear a thing about Californians destroying the place. In fact, you really can't tell where anyone is from unless it comes up in conversation. I have read on a lot of relocation-type forums that the Californians who do move here seem to prefer the planned communities with the pool, clubhouse, etc. Those are all found outside of Austin which is of course causing sprawl. But, what popular area in the U.S. is not experiencing sprawl? I agree with the last poster that at least Austin is a progressive city that cares about the environment.

Now, I will admit that I would never consider living in the suburbs of Austin. They are just like any other burb. When I moved to Austin I wanted to live in and experience Austin. So, I live in Central Austin and I love it. Of course, you have to pay a lot to live here and you get a whole lot less house for the money compared to the suburbs. But, the trade off is nice established neighborhoods and easy commutes.

If you haven't already, you should pay us a visit. I think you'd like it. I will go out on a limb and guarantee that you'll like it better than Florida!

Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin Changing

Austin Traveling and yankeetransplant:

Did you see my question about the Mueller Redevelopment project under "Austin VS. Jacksonville?" What do you think about this new planned central Austin community?

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin Changing

I'm sorry Calif-FloridaBoy, I really don't know enough about the development to say much. It is in East Austin which is supposedly in the process of being revitalized. I think it may take a while though. I drive past the old airport every time I go to the new airport. While it's not a bad area, it's not that attractive. I think if you're thinking long-term investment it might be okay. East Austin is the "poor" side of town so it's not the most attractive and there's higher crime, etc. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that; it's just what I see.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin Changing

I'm a 20-year resident of Austin, and my husband has been here for 35 years. We lament the changes to Austin because we have been here long enough to remember the way things were. We've lost so many Austin establishments, and the days of the slacker are gone. Of course, growth has some advantages, and I'll agree that Austin is trying to do it right. We've always lived in SW Austin, preferring the hills and ranches to the strip mall sprawl of north Austin, Pflugerville, and Round Rock. We could have much more house for our money up there, but SW Austin reminds us more of old Austin.

I still love Austin for what it was, and if I were just visiting here, I think I'd like it. But for those of us who've been around awhile, we're sad about losing what we loved, why we came to Austin so many years ago.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin Changing

Calif-FL Boy,

About the airport project, I haven't heard much about it, but then I'm not anywhere near that part of town. I've had friends live in that area in the last ten years, and it hasn't been the best place to live. All of them moved after having kids to keep their kids out of the schools over there. But that area is being revitalized, and the location is good. If I were single and looking for an investment, I'd consider it. As the professionals and businesses move in, the crime will move out.

Austin
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Austin Changing

Hi! I don't think that progress can be stopped, that's just life. And I appreciate the cultural difference of those who move here from other states, in this case CA.

I think you get anti-CA vibe because in the past 10 years there's been an influx of people moving here with "west coast" attitudes that we're not used to. (I'm not intending to generalize or stereotype all Californiians, I'm just trying to explain the way some folks see things around here) It just seems like we get a ton of "well in CA this" or "In CA that would never happen" or "I'm from CA and we don't do things that way"... you get the idea. I'm sure that Texans who move elsewhere do the same thing! It just seems worse here since we've had so many transplants in the past decade.

Hook 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!